Here are your best options if you are looking for a relaxing break from the chaos of Kolkata. From quiet beach towns to picturesque hill stations, there’s something for everyone on this list of weekend getaways from the City of Joy.
This small hillside village located 640 kilometers (398 miles) outside Kolkata is ideal for a long weekend getaway. With rich tea gardens, scenic valleys, dense forests and pristine river waters, Samsing is nothing short of paradise for nature lovers. Come here if you are looking to picnic amidst stunning views of nearby hills and the lush greenery of tea plantations.
Surrounded by dense forests, this eco-tourist spot is ideal for bird-watching. Located a little more than 450 kilometers (280 miles) outside Kolkata, Rasikbil’s prime attractions remain its lake and adjacent bird sanctuary. The area also features a deer park, a crocodile rehabilitation center, a leopard house, and a tortoise rescue center.
This quaint seaside village on the southern tip of West Bengal is just about four hours outside Kolkata. Alongside a pristine and quiet beach, Bakkhali is an ideal option for anyone seeking a break by the sea. Along with the well-maintained beach, the area also features a historic Hindu temple—the Bishhalakshmi Temple—as well as a crocodile breeding center.
As the birthplace and headquarters of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), Mayapur is where you should go for a spiritual getaway from Kolkata. Just over 130 kilometers (81 miles) outside the city, this small but buzzing town offers quite a few Hindu temple attractions for you to visit, including the ISKCON temple.
One of the state’s most popular beaches, Digha is a guaranteed fun break from Kolkata. A four-hour drive outside the city, the beach town is ideal for quite a few water sports, including parasailing, snorkeling, and water skiing. Other attractions include a century-old Shiva temple and a Marine Aquarium and Regional Centre that showcases the marine biodiversity of the region.
This peaceful seaside town is host to a peculiar phenomenon—where the sea recedes by as much as five kilometers (3.1 miles) every day, only to return to its original form. About four hours outside Kolkata, this beach is home to incredible marine biodiversity and is an excellent getaway if you are looking for a quieter beach than the popular Digha.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are few better options for observing wildlife in the region than the famous Sundarbans National Park, under two hours from Kolkata. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as home to the Royal Bengal tiger, the Sundarbans are likely to thrill any visitor. The park offers a number of guided boat cruises, and treks are available to take visitors through the dense forest.
Sundarbans National Park, West Bengal, India, +91 90079 95888
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.