Maharashtra has no shortage of tourist destinations. The state is vibrant and exciting and has loads to offer in terms of entertainment. But, if you like solitude and wish to break free from the crowds and the pollution, simply head out on a road trip! There is nothing like going on a road trip in Maharashtra and visiting places you never thought you would. While most avid travellers will suggest you go on an epic drive from Mumbai to Pune, there are several other routes that you can explore. With no further ado, we’ve listed out a few road trip itineraries that will surely leave pleasant memories etched in your mind and heart.
Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar
Mumbaikars love travelling to Mahabaleshwar and it is easy to see why. If you plan on setting out on an unforgettable road trip in Maharashtra with someone special, this is the one you should go on. Nestled in the Sahyadris, this little slice of paradise is the perfect getaway when you want to run away from Mumbai’s crowds, noise and pollution. Although it is a short road trip – a five to six-hour drive – you will love every second of it as you drive past amazing strawberry fields. Make sure to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kaas Plateau of Flowers, which is just a short drive away from Mahabaleshwar.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pune to Lonavala and Khandala
Whether you are a resident of Mumbai or a visitor, you should not miss out on a road trip to Lonavala. This is a beautiful hill station that has a number of hill resorts for all budgets. If you are on a motorcycle or scooter, the old Mumbai-Pune highway route is the best way to get there. On your way to Lonavala, make sure you stop at Tiger Point for a cup of tea and snacks. This is where you can also enjoy breathtaking and mesmerizing views of the Sahyadris – it’s definitely one of the highlights of taking this road trip. Other attractions you must not miss on a road trip to Lonavala, combined with Khandala, include Karla Caves, Valvan Dam, Rajmachi Fort and Lohagad Fort.
Lonavala to Matheran
If you aren’t pressed for time, spend another day driving from Lonavala to Matheran, the smallest yet prettiest hill station in India. After Lonavala, most of your drive will be amid reserve forests until you reach Matheran. Be sure to carry your camera, as there will be several panoramic viewpoints of the beautiful valleys and hills along the drive. Also, be sure to take a ride through the Matheran Hill Railway, especially if you are travelling with kids. You will love the Parisian lifestyle and hospitality during your stay in Matheran. If you are a nature lover who seeks solitude, be sure to visit Charlotte Lake and trek up the beautiful Louisa Point to enjoy the panoramic view of ancient forts.
Mumbai to Alibaug
If you are looking to take a short road trip, drive to Alibaug. You will have to drive through the Mumbai-Goa highway to get to this scenic beach destination. Not only is the drive scenic and breathtaking, but your destination will transport you to a new world altogether. The virgin and well-kept Alibaug Beach is a great way to relax and unwind from the conundrums of everyday life. You can also get a breathtaking view of Colaba Fort from here. Whether you are on a break with the family or on a fun-filled day trip with friends, you’ll surely have a memorable time on a road trip to Alibaug.
Kashid to Tarkarli
If you are a biker and love heading out on long road trips, be sure to set a weekend aside to bike through the Konkan Coast, starting from Kashid. It is an off-beat weekend destination where you can wind your way through hidden gems on the coastline of Maharashtra. It will take you about four hours and 30 minutes to drive or ride to Anjarle Beach, a small port village that is known for its sparkling clean virgin beach. While at Anjarle, you may also take a ferry ride on the Savitri River, before you head out towards Malgund Beach, a four-hour drive down the Maharashtra Highway. This beautiful town was once home to Kavi Keshavsut, the famous Marathi poet. Kick off your shoes and enjoy a relaxing day at the beach or spend your day exploring the Tilak Ali Museum. For the last leg of your exciting road trip, drive down the National Highway 66 for yet another four hours to reach the beautiful and serene Tarkarli Beach. Try your hand at some snorkelling, and if time permits, round up your trip by spending the night in a traditional houseboat!
As you can see, there are many places to go on road trips in the beautiful state of the erstwhile Marathas. Whether you have just one day to get away or a few days to escape the hustle and bustle of city life, road trips in Maharashtra are exciting and enjoyable.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.