Kerala is a perfect family destination as it offers plenty of sights, sounds, and activities that can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. From enjoying the vibrant nature that the state is bestowed with, to fun activities; choose from a range of things to do for a complete and entertaining family time. Kochi is a thriving city that offers limitless possibilities to keep little ones busy and learning while they enjoy.
Timings: Open daily except Mondays, from 9:30am to 12:30pm, and then 2 to 4:30pm
Timings: 10am to 9pm
An amusement park is the best bet for an entire day of wholesome fun. Wonderla, formerly known as Veegaland, is the name that stands for entertainment and complete fun for the entire family. The oldest amusement park in Kerala, this theme park has the most thrilling rides and even a water park.
How to reach: Located in Pallikara, the best way to reach Wonderla is by hiring a taxi
Timings: Open daily from 11am to 6pm (weekdays) and 11am to 7pm (weekends and public holidays)
Entry fee: Rs 970 for adults and Rs 620 for children
You can always turn to nature for fun and nothing beats an active day at the beach. Cherai Beach near Kochi is a beautiful destination to spend quality time with loved ones. With gentle waves, it ensures fun for the entire family. Take a dip or splash in the waves, or just laze back on the soft sands to create a memorable time.
How to reach: Cherai is located 25km from Kochi and can be reached by hiring a taxi or taking the local bus from Vypeen
For sparkling times at Sparky’s
One of the largest shopping malls in India – Lulu Mall in Kochi has a special attraction for children. Their topmost floor houses Sparky’s – an entire section filled with games and rides for children. A safe place to leave the little ones while the elders enjoy shopping, Sparky’s ensures hours of unending fun. But beware as it can get addictive for the little ones who don’t want to leave!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How to reach: Hire a taxi or take a local bus to Lulu Mall in Edappally. You can also travel conveniently in the Kochi metro and get down at the Edappally Station.
Amid the buzzing Kochi metro lies a green spot with a variety of birdlife and butterflies that can instill the love for nature in any child. Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary (MBS) is the roosting and nesting place for a large variety of migratory and resident birds – a paradise for bird lovers. Carry mosquito/insect repellants as the place is filled with them. Take a pair of binoculars along for better bird sightings.
How to reach: Hire a taxi to the entrance gate of MBS or take a bus to High Court Junction bus stop and walk less than a kilometre to reach MBS
Timings: Open daily from 10am to 5pm
Best season: January to March
Heritage Walks in Fort Kochi and Mattancherry
Fort Kochi and Mattanchery are two small towns within Kochi that ooze historical charm and are dotted with monuments from the past, influenced by various communities who made Fort Kochi their home. Lessons on Kochi’s history is incomplete without a visit to Fort Kochi and Mattanchery. Take a walk (or hire a bicycle) and visit the following places/structures of historical importance here:
512 year old Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica – one of the eight Basilicas in India
515 year old St Francis Church – the oldest European church in India, where Vasco da Gama was buried in 1524
Array of Chinese fishing nets along the Mahatma Gandhi beach promenade – an influence of trading with Chinese merchants
Dutch Cemetery – believed to be the oldest European cemetery in India
Walk/ride along Vasco da Gama square to the ruins of the Gunnery of Fort Emmanuel
Indo-Portuguese Museum – a museum with exhibits that show Portuguese influence in the area’s art and culture
Bastion Bungalow – a 17th century Indo-European bungalow
Jawahar Park and the interesting houses that ring the park – Koder House, Tower House, Old Harbour Hotel
Stroll along Princess Lane and Napier Street, flanked by building from the Imperial times
365 year old St George Orthodox church aka Koonan Kurishu – the oldest St George church in Kochi
Gujarathi Jain Temple built in 1960
Paradesi Synagogue – the oldest functioning synagogue in India
Mural art at Mattancherry Palace
Stroll and shop along Jew Town
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.