Coorg, the ‘Scotland of India’ as it is often dubbed, lies in the South Indian state of Karnataka. Famed for its coffee and spices, it’s a hill station far removed from the clutches of urbanity, and boasts an abundance of picturesque landscapes encompassing lush valleys, waterfalls, verdant forests and mountains. Its beauty appeals to everyone, from nature lovers to adventurers and wildlife explorers.
In the middle of the spice and coffee plantations lies the picturesque Abbey Falls, which is one of the favourite weekend spots for Bangaloreans. Fed by Cauvery River, the water cascades down the rocks with a strong force, which is audibly and visually spectacular. Visitors can soak in its beauty from the hanging bridge built opposite it, or enjoy an equally stunning view from the bottom while frolicking in the water.
The Dubare Elephant Camp lets you get up-close and personal with elephants. It is home to more than 150 elephants, and provides an opportunity to feed, bathe and interact with these beautiful creatures. Prepare to get soaked, as elephants will squirt you with water from their trunks. Those feeling a bit more adventurous can go for whitewater rafting on the Cauvery River. The rapids are not too difficult, which makes it great for beginners. Be sure to look around and soak in the lush greenery on either side of the water.
Built in the early 19th-century, Sri Omkareshwara Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, and stands out with its beautiful architecture, which is a blend of Gothic and Islamic styles. After seeking the blessings in the temple, explore the grounds that feature a water pond filled with fishes.
Located in the Madikeri town of Coorg district, Raja’s Seat (Seat of King) was once a favourite spot of the Kings of Kodagu who visited here with their queens to watch the mesmerizing sunset. It features musical fountains and a seasonal garden adorned with a myriad of flowers. It is surrounded by low-rise mountains, valleys and lush greenery, which add to its charm. If you want an Instagram-friendly view, head to this spot either early in the morning, when the environs are covered in mist, or during sunset hours, when the clear sky turns into hues of orange and red in mere minutes, as well as transforming the mountainous surrounds and lush valleys into gorgeous silhouettes – a sight to behold.
Raja’s Seat, Stuart Hill, Madikeri, Karnataka, India. Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 6:00am-8:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 6:00am-7:30pm
Fed by Kumaradhara River, the Mallalli Falls plunges from a height of 62 meters into two cascades. It lacks in scale, but it more than makes up for with the abundant natural beauty and stunning views of the surrounding lush hills that it provides. The best time to visit is July to December, when the water flows at full volume, creating a thundering roar amidst the quietness and tranquillity of lush greenery.
Surrounded by coffee plantations, mountains and man-made caves, the Honnamana Kere Lake is the biggest and one of the most spectacular lakes in Coorg. The lake is named after Goddess Honnamana, hence it is considered to be sacred. It comes alive during Gowri festival, when a special ritual (puja) in honour of the Goddess is held, and devotees in their thousands flock here to pay their respect. For the best views, take to the water via boat and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
With mountains and grasslands, Coorg sets the scene for spectacular treks. You will find hiking paths varying from easy to difficult. Some of the best hikes include Tadiandamol peak (Karnataka’s second highest peak), which is difficult, but worth it for the stunning scenery; the Brahmagiri peak trek that will take you through the trickling streams and diverse flora and fauna; Mandalpatti View Point that stands out with its abundance of greenery and awe-inspiring vistas, and the Pushpagiri peak.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Those seeking an adrenaline rush can embark on a rafting excursion. Barapole River is the perfect spot for whitewater rafting, with rapids ranging from II to V, making it suitable for both beginners and pro rafters. Most rafting tours last for an hour or so, and an experienced guide will accompany you. There are several tour operators that organize trips down the river, some of the best include Thrillophilia, Kodagu Whitewater Rafting, and Wandertrails.
Nestled in the Brahmagiri range in the Coorg district, the Irupu Falls is one of the most impressive waterfalls. Fed by Lakshmana Tirtha River, the fall drops from a height of 60 meters amidst the lush forests and mountains. Visitors can enjoy its beauty from the bottom while bathing in it. Also, the falls are considered to be sacred, so taking a dip in the waters is believed to wash away all the sins.
Just an hour or so drive from Coorg lies South India’s largest Tibetan settlement, Bylakuppe. It’s a Tibetan cultural hub, and one of the major highlights include the Namdroling Monastery, also known as the Golden Temple that boasts quintessential Tibetan architectural style. The temple features gold idols, Tibetan art and paintings. Rituals and chantings are held daily, in which you can partake and attain some inner peace. This place comes alive during Tibetan New Year (Losar festival), which is celebrated with zeal and zest, and attended by several thousands of visitors from across the world. Also, there is a small shop within the premises that sells Tibetan knick-knacks, should you wish to take home some mementos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.