Delhi’s best alternative theatres are intimate venues where you can watch the city’s coolest performances.
Unlike in Mumbai, home of Bollywood and where actors can hope to move on to cinema, performers in Delhi are paid very little and often have to take on extra work to pay the bills. Despite, or perhaps because of this, there is an altruistic feel to the theatre scene in Delhi. Everyone wants to chip in and help out, and it is understood that people choose theatre as a career for the love of the stage and not for the money.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Charu Shankar, an actor and performing artist living in Delhi, recommends her favourite alternative spaces in her city, both to perform at and to watch a show. “Places like these give you the freedom to reimagine. A normal space would have fixed lighting and so on, but these spaces don’t have any of [the conventional set-ups], so you have to really be pushed to be creative,” she says.
“This was a family-owned mill, turned by owner Nikhil Mehta into a black box theatre,” says Charu. “The fourth wall [an imaginary wall that separates actors from the audience] already exists on TV, so why have regular theatre performances? In a black box theatre, the audience is already inside the space, so the performance is not restricted.” Black Box Okhla, a vast space with both a main space and a mezzanine, hosts performances, residencies and workshops. Charu runs an actors’ study circle here, where attendees participate in a reading followed by a group discussion. For more information on upcoming programmes, visit its website.
Oddbird lies in the middle of the trendy Dhan Mill compound in Delhi’s swanky neighbourhood of Chhatarpur, where well-heeled families have large farmhouse properties. This theatre is one of few Delhi venues that often sells wine and beer after a show, and has an open space right outside where people like to socialise before or after a performance. “There have been some wonderful performances here,” says Charu. “And then you can also have a conversation with the artists after the show. I especially love the outdoor area that has eats, drinks and a lovely library.” Some of its most memorable performances have included a dinner and show around the life of Urdu playwright Habib Tanvir (where the audience gathered around a table), a Kamasi Washington concert and an immersive retelling of Hansel and Gretel (1812). Head to its website for details on upcoming performances.
Google this place, and you may think it doesn’t exist. All search results link to old events and one slightly defunct Facebook place tag. The only way to know what’s happening at this Panchsheel Park basement-turned-theatre is to get on its mailing list. But, once you’re in the know, it’s a fairly magical experience. Walk through a somewhat nondescript South Delhi neighbourhood, follow the chatter and go down the stairs into a basement, where one small room has chairs and sofas facing towards a black stage. “It’s a good mix of theatre, multimedia and music,” says Charu. “In such a small, intimate space, technology becomes useless. So, the artist could whisper, and the last row hears what they say.” It means that actors and other performers at S47 often work with just what they have, which makes it a unique experience – almost like you’re in your own living room. Email email@example.com to be put on the mailing list.
Even though this venue is located in Gurgaon, it’s a must-visit for Delhi residents. Eastwind Blackbox is attached to the Eastwind Academy for Advanced Music and Performance and often hosts unusual events. These include workshops on creative responses to the current political situation and up-and-coming musicians and bands showcasing their work in an intimate setting. “It’s a tiny black box,” says Charu. “And it has all these people who are experimenting with music – you can hear amazing instruments. It’s one of my favourite places for a date night out.” Despite the emphasis on music, the space is also open to all sorts of performers who put up small acts here, for an audience of no more than 60 people. Visit its website for further information on the academy and upcoming performances.
Barefoot was originally a dedicated rehearsal space. “Now it’s also open for artists to come and perform in the evening,” says Charu. “It’s such fun to try and light a piece differently; some people have even performed here using just fairy lights.” The small space and intimate living-room vibe (think floor cushions and benches) help, and even though Barefoot focuses on its own original productions, it also hosts readings, workshops (such as a recently concluded intense beginner’s look at Indian classical music) and film screenings some weekends. Check its Facebook for more details about events.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.