There’s no other country in the world like India. Here science and superstition go hand-in-hand. While we’ve sent powerful rockets into space, we also fret if a black cat crosses our path. From trying to alter our destiny with gemstones to warding off evil with lemon and chilly totems, here are some of the age-old beliefs that we can’t seem let go of.
Do not sweep after sunset
This is an activity that you’re prohibited from doing once it’s sundown or else you might have to endure some rotten luck soon. There’s no proper logic to this one, but maybe the fear of throwing out some important stuff in the dark while sweeping might have given rise to this myth.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Do not cut nails after sunset
Cutting nails after dark is a strict no-no, unless you want to invite some unwelcome misfortune into your life. This superstition probably has at least a little bit of logic behind it because in the absence of light, it’s easy to hurt oneself with the sharp nail clippers.
Meat should not be consumed on certain days
Many foreigners stereotype the Indians as being vegetarians. They’re wrong. A lot of Indians are non-vegetarians. Well, except on Tuesdays and Saturdays. There are many different reasons for this superstition, from something passed on from family members who use a meat-free day to “cleanse their stomachs” to just a habit, but no one really knows the reason.
Eat curd before heading out
A spoonful of curd and sugar before stepping out of the house can provide an auspicious start to a day. Especially, if you’re going to begin important work, this magical concoction is believed to be a must. The root of this belief may be this – most parts of India have a hot, tropical climate and eating curd is known to provide instant energy.
Eclipses are bad omens for pregnant women
Pregnant women in India have a hard time during eclipses. Not only are they supposed to stay indoors during the entire time, they’re not even allowed to sit cross-legged. God forbid the baby should be born with ugly marks all over its body.
An itchy left palm means money is coming to you
Been wanting to escape to an exotic holiday location? Have an eye on that swanky new car? All you’ve got to do is close your eyes and wish really really hard that your left palm starts to itch soon!
Adding one rupee to gift money is lucky
Finding an odd coin in the envelope containing money gifted by someone can seem strange in other countries, but not in India. On the contrary, if the well-wishers forget to add a one rupee coin, then that’s surely going to raise some eyebrows. Hmm… looks like they want misery to befall us!
Lemon and chillies can ward off evil
As long as you hang a string of seven chillies and a lemon outside your home, no evil will dare approach you. This charm also applies to one’s place of work. According to a Hindu legend, Alakshmi, the goddess of misfortune, likes sour and spicy food. So she satisfies her hunger with the lemon and chillies and returns content without ever stepping inside the house and bringing in a trail of bad luck.
Wearing gemstones brings good fortune
In India, we frequently consult astrologers who advise us to wear certain gemstones to improve our fate. Indians who can afford to buy these trinkets can probably rest assured that no tragedy will ever strike them.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.