The fringes of Bengaluru (formerly known as Bangalore) aesthetically complement the hustle and bustle of the city’s core with rugged terrain and lush greenery. Better yet, it offers means to keep the adrenaline junkies busy. This comprehensive list centers around exhilarating things to do in and around Bengaluru for adventure travellers yearning for a thrill.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Caving in Anthargange
Anthargange – meaning, inner Ganges – is a hillock popular among the trekkers and situated 50 miles from Bengaluru. The volcanic rock formations in Anthargange has paved way for intricate natural caves that beckon explorers all year round. That’s besides the natural springs trickling down the boulders of Anthargange – a haven for trekkers and explorers alike.
Wall Climbing at Urban Climbers
Before buying into the idea of rappelling, it’s essential to try your hand at something less perilous. Urban Climbers, a rock climbing gym in Bengaluru, present an opportunity to get a whiff of rappelling with a controlled artificial setting akin to rocky ranges. The faux wall at Urban Climbers throws hurdles to overcome and props to capitalize on making it an exhilarating affair.
Trek at Kunti Betta
At a distance of 80 miles from Bengaluru, Kunti Betta is a picturesque hill with the adjoining Pandavapura lake bringing the best of both worlds. Trekking the Kunti Betta will reward you with an ethereal view of the surrounding landscapes and the descent will lead to Pandavapura lake, that has room for wide array of water sports.
For those with a penchant for high-octane adventures, all-terrain vehicles and quad bikes are a godsend. The swampy tracks of the rugged terrains in the outskirts of Bengaluru does justice to motor-vehicle enthusiasts’ fixation with quad biking and speed. Adventure sports centers like Dirt Mania in Bengaluru are at the forefront of quad biking, luring myriad of patrons over the years.
Rappelling enthusiasts have Deccan Plateau to thank for in South India. Even the periphery of Bengaluru has its fair share of rocky hillocks to satiate adventure travellers’ love for rock climbing. Several adventure groups from the city often hold rock-climbing expeditions in Turahalli, 13 miles from the garden city.
Fitness enthusiasts in Bengaluru have transcended their love for bicycles into a cross-country adventure. Starting from the city’s hub, cyclists peddle their way to the fringes, subsequently entering the dominion of the neighboring districts, and ride all the way back. The laborious, yet invigorating cycling regime is often towards tranquil destinations like Thattekere lake in Kanakapura taluk.
Rolling down the gentle slopes enclosed in a transparent ball of plastic is a relatively new venture in Bengaluru, yet zorbing’s popularity is burgeoning. Many country-side resorts and adventure centers are introducing zorbing in the list of activities. Taking into account that zorbing doesn’t require any special set of skills, the trend is justified. Zorbing at Discovery Village comes recommended by many.
Paintball arenas in Bengaluru are bustling on weekends or during corporate outings. Since its entry into the band of adventure activities, paintball is growing on the city. Being a group activity makes it all the more enthralling, needless to say. Paintball X in Mylasandra is popular among the numerous paintball arenas operating in Bengaluru.
The ever-thrilling paragliding activity is held at Nandi Hills under the tutelage of Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC). With 1,478 meters of elevation, Nandi Hills offers paragliders a breathtaking view of the adjoining vegetation. Prerequisites to paragliding include training sessions and a health checkup.
Madhugiri Fort and Trek
Among the trekking spots around Bengaluru, Madhugiri is anomalous in terms of topography and is adorned by a dilapidated fort at its summit. The demanding trek to the summit requires traversing a few obstacles and it’s best to save the energy to explore the fort and take in the serenity of the aesthetic backdrop.
Parasailing in Bengaluru
Unlike paragliding, parasailing is a safe bet. The activity entails the parasailer to be towed by a vehicle at a great speed to establish levitation. Although the parasailer is close to the surface, the experience is nonetheless delightful. Jakkur Aerodrome in Bengaluru has a host of groups offering parasailing services for reasonable prices.
Looking for an affordable place to stay while you explore Bengaluru? Here is our list of the best hostels in the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.