If there is one word that can define India’s ever-lingering charm, it is unpredictability. Just when you think you have fully explored the country, only then will she unfold her most mysterious stories to you, the ones you’ve never heard before. Cinema is one way to venture into the world of Indian culture and beauty so take a look at the coolest film posters of the 21st century that beautifully narrate the essence of India.
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is India’s answer to director James Cameron’s Jack and Rose in Titanic. Besides inspiring every 90s couple to take a Euro trip before tying the knot, Raj and Simran had set new relationship goals proving that love overrules borders.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dil Chahta Hai (2001)
2001 was the beginning of the third millennium, the millennium we are part of. The Indian film industry was flourishing in 2001 and became more experimental than ever. Long before the Instagram age and travel-friendly validations, this cult comedy-drama was released. A story of three college friends who take a rejuvenating trip to Goa that encouraged many to start living for memories instead of things.
Swades means homeland in English and was a film that gave a whole new meaning to the phrase, serve your country first. It is about a man who has a well-paying job at NASA in the United States but returns to his small town in India to fix the problem of frequent power cuts. Swades is utterly exceptional in every way.
Iqbal is one of the best coming-of-age Indian movies ever written. The movie portrays an exemplary story of a deaf and mute cricket-loving boy who dreams of joining the Indian national cricket team. Iqbal showcases amazing levels of grit and determination to achieve his dreams.
Water is an Indo-Canadian film set in the British occupied India of 1938. The movie revolves around the lives of widows at an ashram in Varanasi, India. The story is exquisite in every sense of the word and it doesn’t shy away from uncovering topics like Hindu fundamentalism and ostracism under the British Raj.
Rang De Basanti (2006)
This movie is already a cult classic. The story is about a British documentary maker who travels to India to shoot a film around the revolutionary freedom fighters of India. It frames contemporary India covered in cinematic brilliance.
A movie that turned India’s image on a global front upside down, Slumdog Millionnaire is still an enthralling cinematic experience that will introduce you to a side of this country you have never witnessed before. Unlike what the critics exclaimed, it doesn’t show the entire city of Mumbai as a slum but only aims at underlining the lives of those born in slums.
Dev.D was the much-needed modern day dark romantic comedy. Its quintessential funk/pop direction revolves around a twisted love story. The movie unveiled some of the darkest shades of entitlement, power, and honour among the upper middle-class society.
Dhobi Ghat (2010)
If Mumbai had a voice, this would be its story. Dhobi Ghat circles around four different characters living in this city of dreams. However, they soon realize that even in this cramped city, they are still divided by class, caste, and education.
Peepli Live (2010)
Peepli Live is one of the best satires ever produced in the Indian cinema. It satirizes the lives of farmers, and how politicians and media handle them. A witty and fresh take on rural India.
Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008)
This black comedy about a thief who robs for fun will take you for a ride in the streets of Delhi. Dysfunctional and hilarious, the film’s story started out as the underdog of Bollywood but despite that status, it won a national award.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.