We all experience bloating at some point or another. Dealing with a swollen belly, gassiness and abdominal pain can be seriously uncomfortable. If you’re looking to reduce bloating, these Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) tips will help you improve your digestion and leaving you feeling 10 times lighter.
What causes bloating?
According to TCM, when it comes to bloating, the first places to look for a problem are the stomach, spleen and liver.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The spleen and stomach are the body’s primary agents of digestion, in charge of absorbing food, creating blood and qi (vital energy) from it, and transporting nutrients to the rest of the body. When this pair of organs fails to function properly, the improperly digested food can give rise to stagnant qi.
When food and fluids became stuck in the spleen, you may experience bloating, sluggishness, decreased appetite and a puffy face and eyes.
Another possible result of poor digestion is too much yin energy (coldness) in the stomach, which can lead to abdominal dampness and cause blood to stagnate. You may also experience stomach pains, including period-related pains.
Bloating can also be the result of a liver imbalance. The liver is the organ in charge of regulating qi and blood. When those elements aren’t flowing properly, they can end up accumulating in the chest and abdomen. Other symptoms may include a stiff neck and shoulders, irritability, insomnia and headaches.
Imbalances in these organs can be caused by a variety of factors, including overeating, too much dairy and cold foods, not getting enough exercise, or even repressed anger or stress.
If you’re dealing with bloating, it’s a good idea to treat your digestive system gently. Obviously, you should cut out carbonated drinks such as soda and beer. Avoid eating large, heavy meals, as this can overload your stomach and spleen. Foods that are spicy and frozen should be avoided, as well as high-starch foods like potatoes, peanuts and pumpkin, which can be difficult to digest.
Key ingredients to reduce bloating:
Bitter foods: Bitter foods are known to help qi move downwards, and to benefit digestion. Try brewing a tangerine or orange peel tea with a dash of sugar. It would be best to zest your own tangerine, but you can use dried peels.
Rose and jujube date tea: This aromatic beverage warms the stomach, expels dampness and helps your qi flow more smoothly. Steep five dried roses and two jujube dates in hot water for 10 minutes, then drink.
Barley malt (mai ya): Barley malt promotes gastric acid secretion and also contains enzymes that help break down starch. In TCM terms, that means it decongests the stomach, aids digestion and strengthens liver qi. Simply stew some barley malt grains in hot water to make a tea. In addition, its sweet, nutty flavor makes barley malt extract a popular ingredient in vegan baking recipes.
Use a hot water bottle: Using a hot water bottle against your stomach after meals can help get your abdominal blood flowing, preventing stasis.
Massage your stomach: Rubbing your stomach in a circular motion helps to get your spleen and stomach qi flowing. Lie on your back and use the palm of your hand to circle around your navel 100 times in a clockwise direction.
Take a gentle stroll after meals: This gets your blood flowing, keeps your body upright, and prevents your digestive organs from stagnating under the weight of all the food you just ate. However, it’s important to take it easy while your stomach is still processing your meal, as vigorous exercise can interfere with digestion.
Drink warm fluids, and avoid cold or frozen foods: In the TCM view of digestion, the stomach needs to be heated in order to break down foods. When you lower your internal temperature with cold foods, such as an iced drink, your body has to use up extra energy to process it, which can lead to poor digestion.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.