Acid reflux, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), happens when acid in your stomach leaks upwards into your esophagus. It causes a painful, tightening or burning sensation in the chest and can potentially damage your esophagus. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a 2,000 year old healing technique that has some suggestions for treating this unpleasant condition.
What causes acid reflux?
Taoist yin-yang theory underpins the way TCM understands disease. Our bodies stay healthy as long as our internal balance of yin (cool) and yang (warm) forces is more or less equal. Acid reflux is caused by imbalances in stomach or liver, or both.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One common cause of acid reflux is stomach fire. This happens when excessive yang energy flows into the stomach, and is accompanied by a fast pulse, dry stools, and feelings of hunger and thirst. Stress, frustration and “fiery” foods, such as coffee and chilli peppers, can all build up stomach fire. Over time, the condition can lead to a yin deficiency.
Acid reflux can also be a sign of poor digestion, which leads to an accumulation of fluids in the stomach known as stomach dampness. Dampness slows down the movement of blood and qi (vital energy) in the body. When present in the stomach, it can make the stomach feel full and cause qi to move in the wrong direction — up instead of down, leading to acid reflux. Fatigue, bloating and weight gain are all signs of stomach dampness.
Lastly, liver fire is also a suspect for acid reflux. It’s similar to stomach fire, and usually comes as a result of anger or stress. According to TCM, the liver is in charge of regulating emotions, so an unbalanced emotional state can disrupt the flow of qi in your body.
Dietary suggestions for acid reflux
Sour foods are said to help the liver. Incorporating vinegar, kiwis, tomatoes, lemons and limes into your diet can cool the liver and soothe your nerves.
Avoid hot and spicy foods as well as cigarettes. Instead, a diet of cooling, yin foods can go a long way toward soothing acid reflux. Yin foods tend to be green and hydrating. Celery, cucumber, eggplant, green or mint tea, lotus root, aloe vera, bananas and melons are all excellent candidates.
If you suspect that you need to clear dampness from your body, bitter and pungent flavors are the way to go. Try to include onions, radishes, arugula and bitter melon in your meals. It’s also important to avoid dairy and cold drinks, as they are common contributors to internal dampness.
Key ingredients for acid reflux sufferers:
Peppermint: has cooling properties that can help reduce heat in the stomach and get your qi flowing properly.
Fresh ginger and lemon: can help qi descend, preventing the contents of your stomach from moving upwards. Ginger is a yang (warming) food that can help expel cold and dampness, so it’s not recommended if you have a yin deficiency. Lemon is a neutral food (it has roughly equal amounts of yin and yang) that can help your body replenish moisture.
Ark shell or clam shell: are known to harmonize the stomach by clearing phlegm and dampness, and regulating stomach acidity.
Oyster shell: is also commonly prescribed, as it helps free liver qi and calms the shen (spirit). Finely powdered shells can be obtained in a Chinese pharmacy. To take it, simply dissolve the powder in water and drink it.
Bamboo shavings: can help to clear heat from the stomach, guide stomach qi downwards and relieve stomach pain. You can cook the shavings in boiling water and drink it, or add them to a stir-fry or similar dish.
Other tips and tricks
Stress relief:If your acid reflux is caused or exacerbated by excess heat in your body as a result of stress, anger or anxiety, the most important thing would be to address the source of your stress. If that’s not an option, you can also try meditation, yoga, getting more rest, and spending more time on relaxing activities.
Avoid damp environments:This is important for those who think they may be suffering from stomach dampness. Avoid sleeping on the ground and consider getting a dehumidifier for your home. When you get out of the pool or shower, make sure to dry off immediately before the dampness has a chance to get absorbed into your body.
Sleep with your upper body slightly elevated: This helps to prevent your stomach’s contents from rising and to direct qi downward. The easiest way to achieve this is to strategically pad your bed with pillows.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.