A Hong Kong-based architecture firm has managed to convince government officials to save a historic industrial building from demolition in a project that promotes the preservation of cultural heritage in the face of expeditious urbanisation.
China is the fastest growing country in the world, with many buildings being demolished to make way for brand-new megacities. However, there are architects who are quietly challenging authorities to rethink the way they go about urbanisation by preserving and promoting the country’s existing architectural heritage while also providing the government with the targeted growth it requires.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Superimpose is one of them, with its latest project ‘RE-VEIL’ being a successful transformation of a 1940s factory building in the Shanxi province of China. Like many other cities in China, Changzhi faces rapid suburbanisation, with promise of a new Central Business District. Rather than erase the current city’s entire fabric, Superimpose encouraged its client who purchased the land, and government officials, to safeguard the province’s industrial heritage by resurrecting its few remaining People’s Liberation War factory buildings.
“With recent economic pressure the client and authorities planned a completely new urban development, ignoring the actual added value of the heritage,” says Superimpose. “Superimpose strongly believes city growth can be carried out in the form of preservation and regeneration.”
The firm referenced other successful projects to convince the government to retain rather than demolish the buildings, including the 798 Art Zone, a complex of ex-military factory buildings in Dashanzi, which has become a thriving community hub for artists, plus the 1933 Shanghai Slaughter House, a pre-communist concrete beauty that’s now the last of its kind in the East.
The land was acquired through auction back in 2011, and after many discussions, Superimpose proposed a new cultural hub, with the largest of the former factories becoming the ‘Changzhi City Expo’, a vast and impressive exhibition space that will also function as a space for government meetings, offices and an auditorium.
The practice wanted to celebrate the sheer volume of the cavernous industrial building, so the internal spaces have been left open as much as possible with the original structural elements deliberately exposed and celebrated. This includes wall-painted propaganda slogans, original brickwork and its rhythmic metal framework that runs throughout the building. On the outside, the only real intervention is huge black aluminium-framed windows with large pivot doors that can be opened up for outdoor events.
The original bearing machine has been restored and retained in the open lounge area on the ground floor of the exhibition space, while a separate mezzanine level has been installed into the double-height space of the former factory for meetings and administrative duties. A thin veil of white metal mesh is draped between the beams to diffuse the daylight flooding in from the roof lights above, giving the project its name ‘RE-VEIL’.
Superimpose’s RE-VEIL project has now set a benchmark for other similar cities in China, which are undergoing the same rapid regeneration. It’s not just urban areas that are struggling to protect their cultural identities – this year’s Chinese pavilion at the Venice Biennale also highlighted the issue of safeguarding rural traditions as more people are moving out of China’s overcrowded cities, putting substantial strain on its provincial villages. Read more about it here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.