A brand-new 26,000 square-metre cultural hub is set to change the face of Shenzhen and add to China’s ever-growing presence as a key player in the international design circuit.
In recent years China has upped its game in the design stakes, hosting huge international events including Design Shanghai, plus this year it dominated the World Interior of the Year 2017 awards, with no less than a third of shortlisted entrants being Chinese.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Now the new Design Society, designed by Japanese practice Maki and Associates, will open on December 2 in Shekou as part of the wider Sea World Culture and Arts Center project. This will include a new gallery curated by the V&A, which is the first ever collaboration between a UK museum and Chinese partner.
Lead curator of the V&A‘s inaugural exhibition Values of Design Brendan Cormier commented in a blog post on China’s desire to become a global leader in the design industry: ‘There is perhaps no country banking more on design than China. In 2004, in his state address, Premier Hu Jintao spoke about growing the Chinese economy specifically through design and innovation. The idea was as simple as it was powerful: while China operated as the factory of the world, most of the profit from the things it made was flowing back to those countries where the products were designed. If China could start designing competitive products itself, it would be a major boon to the economy.
‘This ambition – encapsulated in the slogan “From Made in China to Created in China” – has had a wide-ranging impact across the country… Thousands of museums have been built in China over the last decade, in what has been the largest museum-building spree the world has ever seen. In 2014 alone, 415 new museums opened, bringing the total number in the country to 4,510, the majority of which are less than a decade old. The government is hoping that this cocktail of business parks, cultural infrastructure and design education will prompt the kind of design innovation necessary to elevate China’s creative economy.’
Three exhibitions will launch at Design Society, including the V&A’s Values of Design, Minding the Digital and Nurturing Dreams in Recent Work: Fumihiko Maki + Maki and Associates, plus there will be a two-day launch programme of talks on cultural industry, tours of the buildings and exhibits, outdoor performances and a series of workshops, all of which will be open to the public.
As part of Design Society, Shenzhen will also see the opening of the Shenzhen Guanfu Museum, which will be China’s first private museum to showcase ancient Chinese craftsmanship and artworks. Also opening in December is the Shekou Museum of Reform and Opening, which will tell the story of Shekou’s cultural past and its rapid development into a thriving economic area.
Shenzhen has already received the accolade of UNESCO City of Design back in 2008, but this new cultural hub will cement its position as a progressive city and enhance its connection with the rest of the design industry.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.