Those flying in or out of the Cambodian capital will be delighted to know that Phnom Penh International Airport’s compact size makes checking in and passing through immigration and security super-speedy. Here’s all you need to know about Phnom Penh’s airport.
Airports usually fill even the most hardened of travellers with a sense of dread, conjuring up images of waiting in seemingly endless queues, queues and more queues, and battling through lounges packed with people and families frantically trying to calm crying children.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Not at Phnom Penh, though. Despite a recent revamp and extension, as well as welcoming a string of more flights, for now Phnom Penh is a long way from becoming an international hub similar to, for example, neighbouring Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.
This makes the airport easy to navigate, quick to get around and devoid of lengthy queues that can plague other airports across the globe.
There’s no shortage of tuk tuks and taxis that can take you to or from the city centre to the airport, which is about an 8km drive.
If coming from the airport, fixed fare taxis and tuk tuks can be booked as you leave arrivals. They charge set fees of $9 for a tuk tuk and $12 for a car.
If heading to the airport, then your guesthouse or hotel can arrange transport – fees vary – or you can hail one down from the road yourself and negotiate a price (usually about $7).
Alternatively, the growing number of tuk tuk and taxi apps available take out the stress of bartering your fare. Uber and Grab both recently launched in the country, with PassApp being Cambodia’s home-grown version of the service.
The capital’s increasing traffic and roadworks mean you may need to leave a little extra time to get to the airport, especially during morning and evening rush hours. An hour should suffice. If it’s early morning or late evening, 45 minutes is more than enough.
Checking in and security
Finding your check-in desk and getting to it is easy, as it all fits inside one large hall. Save time getting through immigration by filling in your arrival or departure form ahead of time.
The second phase of the airport’s $100-million expansion and upgrade was officially unveiled earlier this year with the opening of the new arrivals hall and boarding concourse.
More than 100sqm were added to the existing passenger terminal, which received a make-over. The domestic departure concourse was expanded and two additional boarding gates were added, giving the airport a brand new, modern feel.
The queue at immigration is never usually more than four people deep, with security – at most – a 10-minute wait. Here, as with most airports across the world, you will need to place liquids in a clear plastic bag, laptops and electrical items in the tray and remove belts and shoes.
Enjoying the airport
Thanks to the recent renovation plans, the departure lounge facilities have vastly improved on what was there before. However, they are still limited, but passengers can still browse the usual duty-free tobacco, alcohol and cosmetic offerings.
There are also several restaurants and a bar, as well as a Monuments book store, U Care pharmacy and a handful of boutiques selling handicrafts, clothes and electrical items, spread across the ground floor.
Smokers can also get their pre-flight fix at a small smoking room.
For those wanting to lap up a bit of luxury before the journey ahead, there is a Plaza Premium Lounge, with a three-hour stay available for $31 if booked online, or two hours for $39 and five for $55 at the door.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.