There’s no shortage of tuk-tuks no matter where you are in Cambodia, with the call, “Tuk-tuk, sir,” or “Tuk-tuk, madam” chiming constantly in the air. However, negotiating a ride can be tricky for first-timers to Cambodia. Here, we give the lowdown on all you need to know about catching the Kingdom of Wonder’s most popular mode of “public” transport.
Haggling a price
Those more accustomed to Cambodia can get away with paying at the end, with most tuk-tuk drivers responding with, “Up to you,” when you ask the price. This is because they are more familiar with fares and less likely to stand being ripped off.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
However, for the uninitiated, this isn’t recommended, and settling on a price before starting your journey avoids any hairy moments at the end. But this can be the most daunting – and tricky – task when it comes to foreigners hailing a tuk-tuk. The reason is tourists are seen as walking dollar signs and often the price will be more than doubled.
Of course, this is the first price and no one is expected to settle on this. A good bet is to start at less than half, with three-quarters of the initial price the top you’ll pay. If the driver still refuses, try slowly walking away. If your offer was reasonable, he’ll quickly call you back.
As a rough idea, you shouldn’t pay more than $3 to cross Phnom Penh city centre and about $7 from the airport to the city centre. Airport tuk-tuks charge a flat rate of $9.
Getting from A to B
So, you’ve settled on a price, now for getting there.
Maybe you’re fortunate enough to come from a country where those tasked with driving passengers around are familiar with hot spots, roads and can, at least, read a map. If you are, then forget everything you know, because this definitely isn’t the case with many tuk-tuk drivers, especially those from the provinces.
With this in mind, it pays off to come armed with pre-planned directions in case you need to guide your driver. And if you have a sim card with internet access, then get onto Google maps and make sure you’re headed in the right direction.
Most drivers will be familiar with the city’s wats and markets, so a good tip is to find one close to where you want to go – there is never a wat or market far away – and tell the driver to go there, giving the final steps of the way.
Enjoy the ride
Hurtling along roads in the back of a tuk-tuk can be a thrilling experience, as well as bumpy when you get off track.
It’s also a great way to view your surroundings. But be aware of keeping your valuables close; bag snatches from tuk-tuks are increasingly common in tourist areas.
Another increasing complaint is congestion in the capital, with tuk-tuks more often stuck in fumes being chugged from the motorbikes and vehicles that clog the roads.
Many Cambodians wear face masks as a way to filter out some of the pollution. These can be bought from many of the vendors that dot the roads – along with disposable rain jackets in case you get caught in a snap shower.
Tuk-tuk app trend
In the last year, a number of tuk-tuk apps have hit Cambodia’s roads, offering an easy option to travelling.
In similar style to taxi app Uber, passengers download the app, find their location, set the destination and wait for a driver to respond. Prices are set – low – so it takes away the hassle of negotiating fees and faffing about with directions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.