Duncan Sodala has always been musically inclined. He got his start in the music industry as a rapper under the moniker “The Holstar” before becoming a manager for award winning Zambian hip hop group Zone Fam. Two years ago, on noticing the global increase of vinyl sales, Sodala decided to start selling records.
Sodala founded the company Time Machine Records from his home and began selling the records he had collected in addition to comics and other collectibles. His personal collection has close to “1000 records, but the number declines when there is a good sales run.” Although Sodala is the foremost seller of vinyl in Zambia, there was a time when the country had vinyl presses and record stores. Sodala states, “The Golden Age of vinyl in Zambia would definitely be the 80s – we had some record companies present in the country (Teal Records being the largest one) as well as vinyl presses. The W.I.T.C.H (We Intend to Cause Havoc) was a very popular band in the late 70s and early 80s, Mashabe Band, Julizya, Mulemena Boys, Amayenge as well as a number of Church Choirs that produced their music on vinyl. The decline of vinyl came about when Zambia had an economic downturn as well as the introduction of CDs, which were cheaper to produce.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
However, according to Forbes, in 2017 the global sales of vinyl was projected to hit over 40 million. On the African continent, Stall 570 in Nairobi, Kenya, Mabu Vinyl in Capetown, South Africa and Nyege Nyege Tapes in Uganda are a few examples of vinyl dealers. Sodala attributes the revival of vinyl to nostalgia and quality. “The quality of music on vinyl is unmatched, they outlive any other media and the best music was produced on vinyl. A lot of people are nostalgic and want to connect with their youthful days.”
In 2010, Now Again Records was one of several companies that reissued vinyl records of bands such as Amanaz, The W.I.T.C.H and more. The W.I.T.C.H in particular have benefited from the resurgence in vinyl as more people have discovered their music, such as film director Gio Arlotta who went on to create a documentary called We Intend To Cause Havoc (2017) about the Zamrock (Zambian rock) band W.I.T.C.H. The only surviving member of the group, Emmanuel ‘Jagari’ Chanda, went on to tour throughout Europe after the release of the film.
Sodala primarily uses social media (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) to advertise the records he has for sale, as well as renting stalls at local events such as Lusaka Comicon and other festivals. He also took part in World Record Store Day in April, an annual event where those interested in purchasing records can visit independent record sellers. In terms of the market for vinyl in Zambia, Sodala says, “The market for records in Zambia is growing as more people become aware. A number of people have a pile of records lying in a corner somewhere; I always say it’s like a forgotten gold mine – the potential for records to take hold is big! Not to mention this is another way we could beat piracy by creating exclusivity.”
Sodala has also provided a few tips for purchasing vinyl and starting a record collection:
-Look for limited edition vinyl, box sets and independent artists’ early music that you think will probably be big one day.
-Make sure they are in good condition (check for scratches and don’t buy dusty records unless you have time to clean them) and store them properly.
-Join groups and websites like Discogs that will help you know what your collection could be worth.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.