Nairobi offers eclectic choices of things to do for the adventurous soul. One minute you could be dining in a fine restaurant and the next you are dancing to the rhythm of traditional drums at a cultural night. Read on to see the most wonderfully unique things you can do in the capital city of Kenya.
Attend a cultural night
The various tribes in Kenya take turns hosting a cultural night where they showcase their culture and traditions. Traditional food is served and the audience is treated to an entire night of music exclusively from the tribe. If you are looking to enjoy culture and have a taste of indigenous Kenyan cuisine, go for a cultural night. These cultural nights also celebrate cultures from neighboring countries like Ethiopia, Rwanda and Burundi.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a matatu ride
A matatu is the public service vehicle used to transport people all around the city. Nairobi matatus are a thrilling ride, as the inside of the trendy vehicles are fitted with plasma screens showing the latest music video clips and a superior sound system for quality audio. The body of the vehicle is adorned with graffiti, depicting everything from the who’s-who of hip-hop culture to African heroes, like Nelson Mandela and Kofi Annan.
Eat ugali and nyama choma
Nyama choma is a delicacy that can be compare to the Brazilian churrascaria or the South African braai. The meat is roasted on an open coal fire and is served with ugali (the local cornmeal staple) and a finely chopped mixture of tomatoes, red onions, pepper and coriander, locally known as kachumbari. This meal is usually followed by a cold Tusker, the infamous Kenyan beer.
Explore the local slums
A visit to the largest slum dwelling in sub-Saharan Africa will open your heart to the challenges faced in informal settlements, and is a great experience for anyone looking to support initiatives in these slum areas. The tours are conducted by young guides who have lived in the slums and have been vetted by the Kibera Slum Tours organization.
Go thrift shopping
Thrift markets are wonderful places to interact with locals and see how vendors market their goods. Look out for singing vendors, often a male and female duet that moves through the crowds describing their goods and wares to passersby.
Stargaze from the KICC
The KICC (Kenyatta International Conference Center) is the tallest building in Nairobi, and its rooftop offers panoramic views of the city. It is the best seat in the house when it comes to watching the African sunset, while the stars at night offer a most romantic backdrop.
Visit the Unites Nations Headquarters in Africa
A tour of the United Nations HQ in Africa, which is located at Gigiri in Nairobi allows you to see the United Nations hub at work, and maybe even an African dignitary or two. It is one of the four possible tours one can take of UN headquarters in the world, the others being in New York, Geneva and Vienna.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.