When you’ve come to the end of your holiday and it’s time to pack up and head home, it’s always nice to have a little memento to bring back. Here’s Culture Trip’s top picks of unique souvenirs to help you remember your visit to the Kingdom of eSwatini.
These stunning artworks are exported the world over – so if you visit eSwatini, pick up your own to take home with you. Possibly the best thing about these bright and striking candles is that when they’re lit, the flame will make a small hole in the body but doesn’t melt the entire candle – meaning you can keep it and put a tealight inside, in order to enjoy the candle without it dying.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swazi candles are made from balls of non-scented paraffin wax imported from South Africa, which are softened in the oven before the ball is coated with another piece of paraffin wax printed with bright colours and patterns. The local artists shape the candles by hand into different African animals. Once shaped, they are put in cold water for 24 hours to cool and harden so they don’t break or get squashed when you carry them home in your luggage. These talented craftsmen can make a small candle in less then five minutes and a large candle in less than seven, and make between 30 and 50 candles every day.
Another example of beautiful Swati craftsmanship are the products from Ngwenya Glass Factory. The items, which are handmade from 100% recycled glass, include wine glasses, champagne flutes, cocktail glasses, tumblers, vases, jugs, paperweights, candle holders and tableware as well as ornamental African animals. The majority of the glass used in these products is made from soft drink bottles collected from across the country. If you haven’t visited the showroom during your trip to eSwatini, you can order these products from the Ngwenya Glass website – and you can even request a custom order.
Black Mamba Chili Sauce
Spice up your meals when you get back home from your trip with hot Black Mamba Chili sauce. The company now supports 60 families who receive a sustainable income by growing chilis or making sauce for Black Mamba. As well as hot sauce, Black Mamba also sells pestos, chutneys, pickles and pastes – if you don’t pick them up from the Swazi Candles complex or one of the malls in eSwatini, you can also order jars from Amazon (in the US) or Traidcraft (in the UK) as well as stores in Germany, Australia, South Africa and the Czech Republic.
Gone Rural handwoven products
Gone Rural began in the 70s as a small craft shop selling handmade clothes and accessories and has grown to an enterprises which employs 770 artists in 53 communities across eSwatini who make handwoven products. The Lutindzi grasses are first harvested by local communities in the mountains before being sold to Gone Rural and dyed in an eco-friendly manner. The raw material is then weighed and given to women weavers who work from home. These can now be bought at retailers across the globe including Gone Rural UK in England and The Smithsonian Institution in America.
Baobab Batik textiles
Baobab Batik is a social enterprise which was set up by Els Hooft in 1991 as a way of creating sustainable work opportunities for women in the country. It now employs 35 full-time artists; supporting and empowering them to develop their batik-making skills. Each of the products are handmade by the team: from the batik makers who trace the patterns onto plain white fabric and apply melted wax inside the outline. The artworks are then dyed and treated before the wax is removed and the beautiful designs are hung out to dry in the sun. Once the dying process is complete, a team of seamstresses then make the fabrics into items such as cushion covers, scarves, kids’ toys and clothing which you can buy from their store at Swazi Candles.
Quazi Design fashion accessories
Quazi Design takes discarded magazines and uses them to create a range of ethically produced items such as jewellery and accessories. The company provides much needed employment to local women, all of whom are paid a living wage and encouraged to share their skills with each other. The majority of the artisans working for Quazi Design used to be unemployed and have approximately seven dependents, so full-time employment on permanent contracts has transformed their quality of life . These stunning products are now stocked in boutique stores around the world, such as Birdsong, The Big Issue and Paper Plane in the UK and Bridge for Africa, Global Goods and Voss Foundation in the US.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.