Whether it’s beaches that go on for miles or the Big Five, the Rainbow Nation is well stocked when it comes to natural splendour. These luxurious glamping sites allow you to experience the South African outdoors in style.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
South Africa is one of the sunniest, most beautiful countries in the world, so why would you stay inside? From white-sand beaches with mountainous backdrops to the bush and its Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo), the great outdoors calls to anyone who sets foot in South Africa. The glamping scene has shifted into high gear over the last few years, too, offering access to game drives and gorgeous nature trails. Here are some of the most luxurious.
Chapungu Luxury Tented Camp
Tracking down the Big Five can be hot, dusty work. Chapungu in the Thornybush Game Reserve, part of the enormous Kruger National Park, ensures you return to the lap of luxury after each adventure into the bush. The eight tents here are air-conditioned, while you can get pampered at the Amani Spa or sink, hippo-like, into the refreshing rock pool. End the day with a three-course dinner and some South African wine.
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
Tanda Tulu is Zulu for “love the quiet”, and that’s precisely what you’ll be doing at this collection of camps in Timbavati, in the Greater Kruger National Park area. Set out from the safari camp on the Nlharalumi riverbed and meet a pack of rare wild dogs, do a guided sunset walk to learn how to track game on foot at the Tanda Tula field camp or have dinner with views over the plains – home to some lolling lions – at the Nkarhi Homestead.
Luxury Tented Village at Urban Glamping
This chilled glamping spot in Saint Lucia, on the east coast of the KwaZulu-Natal coast, has raised walkways leading to self-catering tents that overlook a canopy of trees. Each tent has an ensuite bathroom, a large shower and mosquito nets to ensure that the insects buzz off. For creatures you’ll be happier to see, check out the nearby iSimangaliso Wetland Park with its elephants, hippos, leopards and white rhinos.
West Coast Luxury Tents
Ever wondered how the super-rich live? West Coast Luxury Tents, between Dwarskersbos and Elands Bay, can give you a little taste. For starters, guests have access to a private secluded beach belonging to the Fork West farm, so you can go for long strolls and a dip with only the local birdlife, including the endangered black oystercatcher, looking on. Rounding off the celebrity feel is a private airstrip, just in case you want to fly in your entourage.
AfriCamps at Stanford Hills Estate
Set on a boutique wine farm in Stanford, two hours from Cape Town, AfriCamps at Stanford Hills Estate provides a handcrafted roof over your head, and also throws a great culinary experience and some top tipples into the mix. Work your way through award-winning wines, drop by the restaurant for meals fresh from the farm or have a braai (a South African barbecue) outside your tent. For a day trip, head down to Hermanus, one of the best whale-watching spots in the world.
Schoemanshoek Glamping and Self-Catering
Chickens, ducks, sheep and the odd tortoise roaming around are all part of the bucolic charm of Schoemanshoek in Oudtshoorn. Must-see sights nearby are the Cango Ostrich Show Farm – whose resident ostriches include the friendly and very huggable Betsie – and the extraordinary Cango Caves, where the Adventure Tour will have you crawling through narrow spaces and up steep rock formations inside a 4km (2.5mi) network of underground chambers.
The best place to spot game is at a watering hole, which makes Ndzhaka the perfect lookout point. Hidden in a thick forest on the banks of the seasonal N’waswitsontso riverbed, in the Manyeleti Game Reserve, the camp is close to a big dam where elephants, buffalo and other wildlife swing by for a drink throughout the day. With only five two-sleeper safari tents up for grabs, it’s a sight reserved for only a handful of people.
Magical Teepee Experience, Hogsback
The misty landscape surrounding Hogsback in the Amathole Mountains, Eastern Cape, is said to have inspired the Mirkwood forest in The Lord of the Rings, after JRR Tolkien’s son, who was based in South Africa for RAF training, sent his dad sketches. While it’s not exactly Hobbiton, this cluster of two-person tipis (all on raised wooden decks with private bathrooms) is still a magical place from which to embark on intrepid expeditions through the natural landscape.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Carina Claassens.
If the outdoors isn’t for you, why not take a trip to one of the three (!!!) South African capitals, Pretoria, and book one of the best hotels for every traveller. Keep yourself busy with the best day trips in and around Pretoria, and visit some of the spectacular bakeries in the city for a coffee and a pastry.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.