There is no shortage of chilled and chic cafes and coffee shops in Port Elizabeth, serving up frothy cappuccinos and freshly baked breads and treats. Here is a list of some of the more popular hangouts in the Bay, offering perky pick-me-ups, tasty meals and a great Friendly City vibe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Savages Fine Food
The work philosophy of ‘happy staff, happy customers’ and a deep love for the architectural history of Port Elizabeth is what keeps Savages Fine Food a long standing favourite in the Bay. There is also no shortage of fresh and tasty meal choices on this elegant eatery’s menu. The mouth-watering breakfast options are served throughout the day, flipping out creamy scrambled eggs, grilled halloumi, avo salsa and honey-glazed pork sausages, to list just a few of the extensive options. Pastries, scones and flapjacks will satisfy those with a sweet tooth while the restaurant’s location at the gracious Victoria Veranda allows patrons to feel relaxed yet stylish.
What began as an artisan bakery soon evolved into one of Port Elizabeth’s most popular coffee shops as customers, drawn by the delicious aromas that drifted out the door, came in search of freshly baked treats, great coffee and a place to chat. Today Vovo Telo offers a large range of sandwiches, pastries, light breakfasts and lunches using first class ingredients such as plump Karoo olives, stone ground flour, free range eggs and award-winning cheese. The comprehensive menu ranges from breakfast bagels and waffles to burgers, pasta and fresh and crispy salads that can be washed down with a variety of coffees, teas, frostees and fresh juices.
Roast Master Cafe
The flavoursome aroma of roasting coffee beans is usually the first thing that attracts patrons to the Roast Master Cafe, as this coffee shop micro roasts their own selection of Arabica coffee beans in a batch roaster. The smaller roasting quantities, along with the infra-red heat that is used to air roast the beans, gives the Roast Master’s coffee its own sublime and robust flavour that is unique in the Bay. Pair this with artisanal breads, cakes, tarts and other tasty confectionery items that are all baked on site, and the scene is set for that ultimate coffee break.
Sacramento is just one of those places that call you back, with an excellent location that affords customers exquisite ocean views while the interior remains warm, friendly and relaxed. During winter a roaring fire keeps patrons toasty while they sip on silky lattes and tuck into dishes such as fresh hake and chips with seasonal salad and generous farmer’s omelettes. The restaurant is decorated with an eclectic collection of interesting antiques that vie for attention with the magnificent seaside views. Locals often pair a trip to Sacramento with an invigorating beach walk, making that first cup of coffee taste so much better.
Tolbos Country Shop and Restaurant
Lying serenely in the Gamtoos Valley outside of Port Elizabeth, Tolbos Country Shop and Restaurant offers plenty of good reasons to escape the city for a few hours. Its old school philosophy of plain and simple good quality has established the eatery as a firm favourite among the surrounding valley community and Port Elizabeth residents, who eagerly embark on the hour’s drive so that they can tuck into hearty breakfasts and generous lunch platters in the fresh mountain air. The restaurant includes a curio and gift shop where all sorts of pretty trinkets, homemade confectionery and bottled preserves can be purchased.
Cobblestone Bakery invites patrons to come and tease their taste buds with their range of freshly baked pies, quiches, and stone-ground range of artisanal breads. The pretty and quaint, pink terraced building offers both inside and outside tables and in the mornings in particular, the enticing aroma of freshly baked bread spills out the doors and into the street. The bakery is also said to make one of the best carrot cakes in Port Elizabeth and boast a Magic Bar that gets delivered all over the country, so best come hungry and save some space for dessert.
This licensed garden cafe serves light meals and a range of tempting desserts and cakes along with light lunches. The first Sunday of every month offers the option of a roast and advance bookings are essential. The cosy interior of the restaurant is inviting, however the grassy lawns and tables outside in the garden are usually the most sought after spots, where patrons can get the country feeling as they tuck into fluffy scones decorated with good dollops of jam and fresh cream. Apron Strings, as implied by its name, is a no-fuss earthy kind of place and offers good wholesome treats and fun.
Modern and light, the Como Caffe brings a touch of the Big Apple to Port Elizabeth with its slick surrounds and deli-styled presentation. The cafe’s great coffee is complemented by sweet treats such as freshly baked KitKat loaves, red velvet cupcakes and muffins. There is also a good selection to choose from on the savoury side of the menu. Pizzas, burgers, salads, wraps and sandwiches are all freshly prepared and the deli stocks an extensive range of internationally sourced ingredients that keeps their dishes interesting and unique.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.