The magnificent and varied terrain of the Eastern Cape boasts some of the most popular hiking trails in South Africa, and the province is fast ranking as one of the premier outdoor-adventure destinations in the country. Options range from strenuous trekking routes that take a few days to scenic walks meandering across streams, past waterfalls and wildlife, and along rugged coastal dunes. Hiking is one of the best ways to explore the uncluttered Eastern Cape, with trails that lead you into the freedom of solitude.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Wild Coast walk
This five-night slackpacking trail begins at Kobb Inn near Mazeppa Bay and meanders along the Wild Coast before ending at the seaside village of Chintsa. The route includes some of the most scenic and picturesque landscapes in the Transkei and Eastern Cape and can be tackled by anyone with a moderate level of fitness. Enjoy long stretches of sandy beaches, whale watching from the headlands of Cape Henderson Reserve, wildlife, and the fragrant scent of coastal dune vegetation. This trail can be tackled in its entirety or in part, with various accommodation options and activities along the way.
Amatola hiking trail
The 62-mile (100-kilometer) Amatola trail is touted as the toughest in South Africa and begins at the Maden Dam near King Williams Town before traversing the Hogsback Mountains and concluding in Hogsback itself. More than half the route consists of ancient and indigenous rainforest, where mountain pools and sparkling waterfalls brighten up the landscape. Knysna loerie (a native bird) frequent the dense vegetation that, in parts, appears as a mystical sea of green. Day three introduces the macchia grassland, filled with gorgeous wild flowers and spectacular viewpoints. Well-appointed cabins provide overnight stops. This hike is only recommended for the physically fit.
Kettlesprout Falls hike
The lush and mystical atmosphere of Hogsback makes it an ideal location for romantic hikes where the landscape is often shrouded in mist, and rain-soaked tress glitter through the haze. The relatively easy Kettlesprout Falls hike begins at the Hogsback arboretum filled with red Japanese maples, oaks, and brightly coloured flowers as you make your way towards forested mountain slopes. Here tall, lichen-adorned trees flank the pathways, while small waterfalls and streams bubble merrily along pebbled beds. The highlight of the hike is the Kettlesprout Falls that tumble beautifully down the mountain’s edge. This is a moderate two- to three-hour hike. Contact the Hogsback Visitor Centre for more info.
Named for the chokka, or squid, that is caught off the coastline, the scenic Chokka Trail winds through gorgeous sand dunes, a tidal river, protected wetlands, and a working port as you explore the fabulous natural scenery of Oyster Bay, St. Francis Bay, and Cape St. Francis. The four-day slackpacking trail includes porters, some meals, and cozy overnight accommodation, so it really leaves nothing to worry about besides enjoying the picturesque views. Admire Cape clawless otter, bushbuck, and a whole host of other wildlife and history on this fascinating and informative trail.
Alexandria hiking trail
This two-day circular hiking trail is located in the Woody Cape area of the Addo Elephant National Park and offers outstanding birdlife, animals, and natural scenery. From coastal dune forests to sweeping seascapes and the largest duneveld in the southern hemisphere, the vistas to enjoy are seemingly endless. Begin in a magical yellowwood forest before reaching the shore where shipwrecks and dolphins wait to be discovered. Dip your toes in the ocean and inhale the fragrant scent of the indigenous fynbos (native heathland vegetation) as you connect with nature on this fabulous route.
Strandloper hiking trail
Follow the footsteps of some of South Africa’s first beachcombers on the Strandloper Hiking Trail. This fascinating four-day route takes hikers along magnificent sea-swept shores, past exquisite tidal pools and sparkling estuaries, and into age-old leafy forests. Beginning at the Kei River mouth, you will travel towards Morgan’s Bay and the fabulous Morgan Bay Cliff for exquisite views of the ocean below before tackling the headland. Sights along the way include numerous shipwrecks, a treasure trove of beach shells, and narrow intertidal beaches.
Addo mountain hike
The Addo mountain hike offers spectacular views of African antelope and other smaller species of wildlife and is one of only two areas where hiking is permitted in the Addo Elephant National Park. The route takes hikers up into the stunning Zuurberg valley, filled with proteas and other indigenous vegetation, and is also believed to house one of the largest populations of blue duiker in South Africa. Other scenic attractions to enjoy include verdant mountain forests, cool, clear streams, and a natural swimming pool where you can take a refreshing dip. Guided hikes can be booked through Crisscross Adventures.
Lammergeier Highlands Reserve hiking trails
The Lammergeier Highlands Reserve lies sprawled across the southern Drakensberg Mountains and invites hikers to step into another world as they lose themselves in the beauty of nature. Here, you can wander off the beaten track for an intimate experience with the surrounding landscape as you wade through fresh mountain streams and climb cliffs to absorb majestic views. Those that persevere may be lucky enough to have a rare Cape vulture swooping close by, while the grassy plains sway gently in the breeze and awesome views take your breath away. There are various hiking options available to suit all ages and fitness levels.
Highlands hiking trail
This luxury hiking adventure can be booked through Active Escapes and offers all the joys of hiking in the fresh mountain air with the added benefit of charming farm-style accommodation at night. The three-day trail requires a moderate level of fitness and explores the gorgeous Eastern Cape highlands at the southern end of the Drakensberg Mountains. Enjoy birdwatching, fly fishing, swimming in bubbling streams, and lazing around the picturesque farmstead with all meals catered for. Other activities, at an additional cost, include mountain biking, river rafting, and horse riding.
The Sacramento Trail is a favourite among Bay locals and is popular with runners as well as those just looking for a pleasant walk through nature. It is a circular five-mile (eight-kilometer) route through the Schoenmakerskop-Sardinia Bay Nature Reserve and meanders across some of the most remarkable seascapes and landscapes in Port Elizabeth. Depending on the time of year, runners may also be able to marvel at some spectacular dune vegetation that jumps out in riots of colour in springtime. There are a bronze canon, a monument, and the ruins of a mill to admire along the way.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.