Travelling as a family brings its own unique challenges, especially when visiting remote destinations that may venture off the beaten track. Rwanda (‘the Land of a Thousand Hills’) is not the place many people might think of as a child-friendly holiday destination, however, there is plenty to see and do with children in this beautiful country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience local customs with Azizi Life
From crafting, banana juice making, traditional construction, cooking, candle dipping, homestays, to drumming and dancing, the Azizi Life Experiences give you and your family a chance to truly understand the Rwandan way of life. During these day trips, you are fully immersed in Rwandan culture, meeting the local people and experiencing their everyday life.
Sleep under the stars in Akagera National Park
Who wouldn’t love to camp in a beautiful national park full of elephants, giraffe, zebra, buffalo and lions? Camping in the fenced area of south of Akagera National Park is an unforgettable experience for any family. Bring your own tent or rent one for the staff to erect for you. Firewood is provided, as are BBQ areas, running fresh water and long-drop toilets. Don’t forget to bring your marshmallows, then enjoy sitting by the fire under a star-filled sky and listening for the sounds of the wildlife that surround your camp.
Escape the city at Lake Kivu
Enjoy being away from the city and relax by the lakeside of Lake Kivu. As you lounge by the lakeside, local boats will pull up and offer you trips to the small islands and the hot springs. Remember to haggle for a great price on your boat ride and be aware of the weather (if it looks like rain is coming, it’s best not to go offshore). If you feel like splurging then stay at the fabulous Serena Lake Kivu Hotel. Their standard rooms have two double beds, which is perfect for a small family.
Canoe on the Mukungwa River
Get a different view of Rwanda as you navigate the Mukungwa River in your canoe. Kingfisher Journeys welcome children from four years old to join in their half-day canoeing trips, which take off from Musanze. Enjoy the beautiful diversity of Rwanda’s countryside, wildlife and water life, and meet some members of the local communities that live along the riverside – a wonderful experience for all ages.
Get out of the rain in a soft-play area
Rain can be very unpredictable in Rwanda. When you are caught out with a couple of days of rain and you have children that need to escape from home, then head to the indoor soft-play area at Monaco Café. You pay per hour for your children to enjoy the play area while you can sit back and relax with a drink and some food. Be prepared to pay for more than one hour to let your children explore.
Indulge in a long hotel brunch
There are various four and five-star hotels in Kigali that offer fabulous long brunches over the weekends. From morning to late afternoon, you can sit back and relax while all your food and drinks are provided. Use of the swimming pool is normally included in the brunch price and helps to keep children well entertained. The Kigali Marriott Hotel weekend brunch includes the use of a bouncy castle near the swimming pool, so extra entertainment for the children!
Ride a horse on the top of Mount Kigali
Fazenda Sengha offers horse riding lessons every day of the week. Situated on top of Mount Kigali, the views are spectacular, so sit back and relax while your children enjoy the horse riding. You can also join in with them for a family horse riding lesson. Take a picnic and stay for lunch; there are tables to use and lots of green space for the children to run and around. Also on offer is a zip line and horse trails for when you want to head off course.
Work up an appetite in a restaurant playground
Public playgrounds are non-existent in Rwanda, but there are some great restaurants that offer play spaces perfect for entertaining children. CasaKeza, Century Park Tung Chinese Cuisine, Heaven, J. Lynn’s and Pili Pili are some of the restaurants you can choose from. These restaurants all have various forms of outdoor play areas, indoor play houses, toys, sandpits, live animals, grassy areas and swimming pools, not to mention delicious food for the whole family to enjoy. At Heaven Restaurant you will find a great kids’ menu and a playground. Plus, on weekends, there are craft activities for children offered at the adjoining Azizi Life Boutique.
Explore and shop at Kimironko Market
From the smells to the vibrant colours to the happy people, Kimironko Market is quite the shopping experience. Bring along your shopping bags and stock up on everything from fresh fruit and vegetables to second-hand clothing. Kimironko Market has everything you could possibly imagine (and some things you couldn’t!). Remember to bring cash and barter like the locals do.
Discover Kigali’s incredible heritage
Go Kigali Tours offer half-day and full-day tours that let you and your family experience the city of Kigali. Full-day tour stops include a trip to the top of Mount Kigali for views of the city and the countryside, drinks at a milk bar, a trip to a neighbourhood market, a mural walk, a Rwandan lunch, Rwandan coffee, a ride on a water taxi, a neighbourhood walk and a visit to the Kigali Genocide Memorial. The half tour includes a trip to Mount Kigali, a mural walk, drinks at a milk bar and a visit to a neighbourhood market.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.