Rwanda is hot right now, and everyone’s beginning to realise it. Though the country is still one of the world’s best kept travel secrets, a possible tourism boom might come about in 2018 as travelers are starting to pay a little more attention to East Africa’s smallest nation. This remarkable country – known for its impressive wildlife, flourishing arts scene, clean city streets, and vibrant local culture – is undoubtedly one to watch.
Significant news features
Every major travel news source is currently lauding Rwanda as a place to visit in 2018. Rwanda has been recognised as a top travel destination by both CNN Travel and the Telegraph, and was recently featured by the New York Times on its annual ‘52 Places to Go in 2018‘ list. It’s not all just about trekking with mountain gorillas either – a recent New York Times travel piece on how to spend 36 hours in Kigali has been making the rounds in the region, and most articles about the country mention Akagera National Park, Nyungwe National Park, and the country’s idyllic lakes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visa on arrival policy
As of January 1, 2018, citizens of any country in the world can obtain a thirty day visa for $30 USD upon arrival in Rwanda. Prior to this landmark decision, only African passport holders and several other countries were able to purchase a visa upon landing at Kigali International Airport. Newly accessible, Rwanda projects that this open door policy will result in increased tourism.
Direct flights between Kigali and Brussels, Amsterdam, and Istanbul have been operating for several years, but a new direct Rwandair flight from Kigali to London as of May 2017 has the continent abuzz. With the European market well covered, Rwanda has also announced that a direct Rwandair flight from Kigali to New York is underway for August 2018. With better flight options, it will be easier than ever for tourists to visit the land of a thousand hills.
New and improved luxury travel
Call Aunt Sue, because Rwanda is no longer a backpacker-only destination. Impeccable service, fantastic food, and gorgeous scenery characterise Rwanda’s best and newest luxury hotels. In 2017, the country witnessed the openings of Bisate Lodge by Wilderness Safaris in Kinigi and the Marriott hotel in Kigali, as well as the reopening of Nyungwe House by One&Only Resorts. Singita, another prestigious company with lodges and camps in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania, has plans to open yet another luxury lodge on the border of Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, with the Mantis Collection set to refurbish and take over the Akagera Game Lodge in the Akagera National Park.
Recognition at travel fairs
Over the weekend of January 19, 2018, Rwanda participated in the Matka Nordic Travel Fair, Northern Europe’s largest travel fair located in Helsinki, Finland. Rwanda’s stand was reportedly one of the most energetic at the fair, featuring traditional Intore dancers, hot Rwandan coffee, and classic Rwandan tunes. Travel fairs are important for bourgeoning tourist destinations, as the Nordic and greater European market will likely benefit Rwanda’s tourism industry.
Safety and stability
Though locals and visitors alike have extolled Rwanda’s safety record for the last decade, a Gallup poll in 2017 officially recognised Rwanda as the 11th safest country globally. The international recognition of Rwanda’s safety is an important feature in its tourism marketing campaign, and will possibly draw even more tourists who would otherwise stay away. According to the World Economic Forum’s report in 2017, Rwanda actually ranked as the 9th safest country in the world, putting it several places ahead of countries like Portugal, New Zealand, Austria, and the Netherlands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.