Heritage Week has been celebrated annually in Namibia since 2012, giving locals a platform to celebrate their natural and cultural resources.
Taking place around the third week of September, Heritage Week is a collaboration between Namibia’s main heritage institutions and the Museums Association of Namibia (MAN), which facilitates regional activities throughout the celebration. This year’s theme was “Tu Ruganeni Kumwe”, which means “Let’s Work Together” in the Rukwangali language. The event was honoured across Namibia in nine towns and in the capital city of Windhoek.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Happy with what she described as yet another successful Heritage Week, Ndapewoshali Ashipala from MAN said that this year’s festival was made even more special because more Namibian towns took part than ever before. “This year was particularly good because we had a bigger regional representation,” she said.
With a diverse population comprising of more than 10 ethnic groups plus a magnitude of heritage sites that have been attracting tourists from all over the world for years, Namibia’s heritage is indeed one that needs to be safeguarded and celebrated. Heritage Week acts not only as a platform to allow Namibians the opportunity to learn more about their country’s rich culture and history, but also for people to feel proud to be Namibian.
To make it possible for regional partners to take part in the festivities, MAN hands out grants funded by the National Arts Council of Namibia. These grants are awarded to members of the association and recipients are encouraged to use it for activities that are in line with the theme.
Heritage Week events
Together with MAN, which acts as an umbrella body in the museums sector, other Namibian heritage institutions also play a big role in creating platforms and opening up spaces for heritage activities across the country. For example, the National Art Gallery of Namibia (NAGN) hosted several live art demonstrations that were free for the public. The gallery hosted Ngavee Kambezunda, a graduate from the College of The Arts in Windhoek, who gave a live stone carving demonstration. Another attendee was Alfred Muifi, a graduate from the University of Namibia, to showcase his modern-day pottery techniques.
Many more events took place over the wee,k including cultural festivals, film screenings, food markets, art workshops and heritage site excursions. In the southern town of Keetmanshoop, teachers had the opportunity to teach their students different local languages. This was a wonderful opportunity to expose the youth to other languages, and to learn about practising tolerance of other cultures. Heritage Week was another opportunity to showcase how Namibian schools are driving the message of diversity across to learners.
Lionel Kamburute, a teacher at Sonob Primary School in Mariental, said that the school curriculum does include teachings on diversity and heritage. “It’s included in the Life Skills and Arts and Culture subjects, so learners are made aware of this from a young age.” During a Heritage Week schools quiz on Namibia’s natural, cultural and intangible cultural heritage, Kamburute proudly led his team of students to victory. The quiz involved schools from all regions in Namibia.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.