Shifting sand dunes, desert adapted wildlife, desolate coastlines and barren deserts all add to Namibia’s distinct uniqueness with the landscape of the country lending itself to deep and thought provoking ponder. A visit to this strikingly beautiful country could change your outlook on life forever. Here are 14 reasons why.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This surreal landscape of scattered stone and odd rock piles is located near Keetmanshoop and literally looks as if a few giants got together for a stone throwing party. The weird rock structures are in fact a result of natural forces and weathering over millions of years but do make for great photos. For those that want to get lost its rather easy to loose your bearings in between the imposing rocks. Take a moment while you are here to reflect on nature and its magnificent abilities.
While this may sound quite normal at first the reality is in fact far from it. Kolmanskop is a ghost town in the Namib Desert, not far from Lüderitz that was once a thriving diamond mining hive. After the gems dried up the occupants made a hasty retreat leaving behind an eerie, deserted town. While many of the buildings still remain, some have been damaged by the sands of time, with bits and pieces of former households strewn across the desert. Take a walk through its abandoned beauty and try out a bath for size.
Ai-Ais Hot Springs
After a hot dusty day exploring the desert, nothing beats relaxing in the Ai-Ais therapeutic hot springs. Their name means burning water and their thermal properties, said to be excellent for rheumatism, are particularly sought after in the winter months. It’s a rather awesome feeling sitting in the springs while you allow nature to treat you to some healing and feast your eyes on the scenic wonderland around you. The resort also offers outdoor and indoor pools of varying temperatures.
Although not necessarily life-changing, it is nevertheless intriguing to discover the large number of old vintage cars that lie broken and neglected in the middle of the desert. These odd wrecks add an element of the twilight zone to the dusty desert landscape and one can spend hours guessing as to how they got there and why they stayed. Some sport bullet holes which makes the mystery even more interesting and thought-provoking. Although scattered throughout the desert, Solitaire is one of the best places to ponder these old cars.
This luxurious train takes visitors on the trip of a lifetime as it ensconces them in ultra-modern surroundings and plush upholstery while traveling through Namibia’s central highlands towards Swakopmund on the Atlantic coast. It makes for a fabulous and unique weekend getaway while those looking for a longer trip can take the seven-day option that includes game drives in the Etosha National Park. Rates include accommodation in the coaches, meals and selected excursions.
Fish River Canyon
Located in the far south of Namibia, the deep ravine that makes up the Fish River Canyon is the second largest in the world. A fabulously magnificent sight at any time of the day, the canyon takes on a special atmosphere come sunset when the rocks glow orange and shimmer against an increasingly darkening sky. Various lookout points offer breathtaking views of this natural spectacle that must rate as one of the most inspiring on the planet. Take some drinks and snacks and settle down to watch the show.
Living Museum of the San
The San, or Bushmen, are one of the oldest tribes in Africa and the original inhabitants of Namibia. They are revered for their excellent survival skills and are master bow hunters with a deep knowledge of the land on which they live. The Living Museum provides the rare and unique opportunity to learn from and interact with this amazing tribe by joining them on a traditional hunt or by fashioning bows and arrows and discovering more about the medicinal uses of plants. Take a break from modern times for a while as you return to basics and the true meaning of life. The museum is open 365 days of the year from sunrise to sunset. Bookings are not necessary.
Often swathed in thick layers of fog, the eerie Skeleton Coast is littered with the misfortune of bygone sailors who met with a watery death when running their ships onto rocks. If you stop for a while to stare out over the foggy ocean it’s easy to image how an old sailing boat would have run aground in such bad visibility, while the misty light adds to the haunting feel. Even if they got to shore most sailors died, with no water to sustain them and no shelter from the harsh sun. The area still echoes with a slight despair and the whispers of a treacherous past and will absorb you with its dangerous beauty.
Snuggle under the Milky Way
Vast open spaces over much of the country makes Namibia one of the best stargazing locations in the world. Take a throw and a bottle of wine and share this awesome moment with your significant other as you snuggle under a blanket of twinkling stars. Life changing events happen during moments such as these, so this would be an excellent time to pop the question and give her a diamond that rivals the shimmer of the stars.
Run with wild horses
Officially referred to as the Namib Desert horse, this rare, feral breed is the only one of its kind in Africa with an origin that is shrouded in history. They roam the sparsely vegetated plains of the Namib Desert near the town of Aus and have adapted superbly to their dry, arid surrounds. The horses are a fascinating and beautiful sight to behold and their untamed spirit reminds one that anything is possible despite difficult circumstances.
Deadvlei is a strikingly white clay pan, surrounded by rich red sand dunes that is home to a forest of black and dead acacia trees. Due to its unusual beauty it is one of the most photographed locations in the world and its empty solitude evokes a highly emotive atmosphere. A visit to Namibia simply isn’t complete without a stop at this surreal location that is bound to change your outlook on the world, if only for one still and solitary moment
Skydive in Swakopmund
Few can argue that swooping through the sky doesn’t rate as a life changing experience and in Namibia it’s even more awesome, as your bird’s eye view allows you to comprehend just how immense the Namib Desert is. No previous experience is necessary and tandem skydives are available. Enjoy a scenic flight from Swakopmund before you jump out the plane and float through the sky for approximately 5-8 minutes.
Kayak at Pelican Point
Few can say they have visited one of the largest dune fields in the world where the desert meets the ocean in dramatic beauty. Marvel at the stunning scenery and power of nature as you take a tour to the remote and pretty Pelican Point Peninsula where Cape fur seals, flamingos, pelicans and dolphins wait to be discovered. The area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and visiting it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.