Located along Morocco’s Atlantic coast, Agadir is known for its sandy beaches. The city and surrounding areas are also known for having some of the best surfing destinations in the country. After a day riding the waves, relax in a spa or enjoy the local nightlife. Here’s where to go for great surfing in and around Agadir.
South of Agadir and close to Inezgane, Cherry’s right-hand reef break is suitable for beginners. Relatively uncrowded, the area hosts regular surfing competitions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A very busy beach break close to the heart of Agadir, Killers Beach is easily accessible from the popular seaside city. A perfect place for beginners to practice and learn how to harness the power of the waves, the ride can be up to 800 metres on a good day.
Situated close to the small village of Awrir, KM12 is an intermediate-level wave that can be enjoyed during high tide.
Close to Tamraght, north of Agadir, in a small village now known as Banana Village, Banana Point is ideal for beginners who want to practice in an area that isn’t too crowded. The small beach is protected from the winds and the right-hand point break is long.
Another break near Tamraght, Devil’s Rock is a fairly quiet beach break. Waves come from the left and right, but mainly from the right. Each day offers a different surfing experience here, and it’s better suited to intermediate-level surfers.
Cro Cro is a beach break near Tamraght with waves to both the right and left. Although more suitable for surfers with some experience, beginners and advanced surfers can also have fun here.
Located in the fishing village of Taghazout, which is now a premier surfing destination in Morocco, Anchor Point is a popular spot for experienced surfers. The right-hand point break offers some incredible surfing where you can ride the wave for almost a kilometre. There are strong barrels in the middle of the wave and, on a good day, the high walls are thrilling.
One of the main surfing points in Taghazout, Killer Point is a right-hand point break. Ideal for advanced surfers, it can get fairly busy. The wave is often higher than you realise!
A great sheltered point break in Taghazout, Panorama can be challenging. The fast wave can break for up to 500 metres, and occasionally the wave also offers barrels.
A right-hand point break in Taghazout, Hash Point is one of the best and most-relaxed waves in the area. Suitable for beginners, the wave rolls over sand and rocks; do be careful of jagged rocks while having fun in the water. It’s most reliable in the winter months.
Yet another Taghazout wave, La Source has mainly right-hand waves, though it is possible to experience some from the left too. The performance walls rise slowly, ideal for those who are just beginning to try their hand at surfing, and there are some faster sections that offer thrills for those who have a bit more experience.
Close to La Source, in Taghazout, Mysteries is a relaxed wave that breaks partially over sand and partly over rock, finishing up on the beach. You can surf for more than 300 metres.
North of Agadir and close to Tiguert, Boilers is a fairly popular right-hand reef break that can draw sizeable crowds due to its consistency. Watch out for sharp rocks and sea urchins and see if you can spot the shipwreck near the start of the wave.
Dracula’s is a large point break near Tiguert. It has right-hand waves. Seen from some distance, the high wave can be surfed for some distance.
Close to Tiguert, Unicorns’ is generally quiet. The wave is quite challenging, and so this is a better surfing spot for advanced surfing fans. The reef break has right-hand waves, and the way in and out can be tough.
Also near Tiguert, Desert Point is a rocky right-hand reef break that is great for advanced surfers. It doesn’t get too busy here and, in the right conditions, it offers a long, thrilling ride.
While it might not be the biggest or the most exciting wave around Agadir, Tamri is the best place to surf when everywhere else is quite flat; you’ll almost always find a decent wave here during the surfing months (October to April). Tamri is located between Taghazout and Imsouane. The reef break has both left and right waves.
Cathedrals is a point break in Imsouane. It attracts medium-sized surfing enthusiasts, but the whole beach can sometimes be surfed, allowing people to spread out. Suitable for beginners, the sandy ocean floor offers few hazards if you tumble.
Another great surfing spot in Insouane, Magic Bay is an awesome place with something for all levels of surfers. The different sections provide different surfing experiences and it boasts some of the longest waves in all of Africa.
There are many terrific places to surf near Agadir, with Taghazout, Tamri, Imsouane, and Tiguert all within easy reach of the city if you want to add more to your Moroccan surfing experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.