As one of Morocco’s former imperial capital cities, Marrakech is brimming with history and culture. A perfect destination for all, couples, families with children, groups of fun-seeking friends, and solo travellers will find plenty to keep them occupied in the Red City. Romance might not be readily apparent, as is common in many Islamic nations, but there are several cool ideas for a date with a twist. Read on to discover how to spend time with your significant other in Marrakech that’s a little bit different to the norm.
Watch the sunset over Koutoubia Mosque
Watching a beautiful sunset is always romantic in the right company. Marrakech’s splendid Koutoubia Mosque, framed by the majestic Atlas Mountains, offers a terrific focal point when witnessing the sun going down and the sky changing from shades of blue through reds, oranges, and pinks to finally become dark.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience the lively atmosphere of Djemaa el Fna
One of Marrakech’s main attractions, Djemaa el Fna is the main square in Marrakech. Food stalls, orange juice vendors, snake charmers, and performing monkeys are among the sights you can enjoy during the daytime. After night has fallen the energy levels only intensify, with musicians, street dancers, traditional water sellers, acrobats, jugglers, henna tattoo artists, magicians, and more for couples to marvel at while enjoying each other’s company.
Chill out on a rooftop terrace overlooking the square
If the action of Djemaa el Fna gets a bit too much, or you want somewhere a bit calmer to enjoy on your date, head up to one of the rooftop terraces for great views of the square below. Although alcoholic drinks aren’t available, loved-up couples can chat over a glass of mint tea or a fruit smoothie while soaking up the atmosphere.
Ride a camel at the Palmeraie
Many visitors think of camels when they think of Morocco, but most would probably expect to find the hardy beasts in areas closer to the desert. If you and your date would like to experience a camel ride together, however, there’s no need to venture far from the heart of Marrakech; simply go to the lush area of Palmeraie and arrange a ride through the towering palm trees.
Explore the city in a horse-drawn calleche
See Marrakech from a different perspective with a jaunt in a calleche, a traditional horse-drawn carriage. Sit back and relax next to each other as the horse trots through the streets for a different sightseeing adventure.
Share a tanjia with your sweetheart
Tanjia is a local dish from Marrakech. Perfect for meat-loving couples, the slow-cooked meal can be tipped from the pot and shared with your love. Scoop up the tender chunks of spiced meat with bread and enjoy a local gastronomic experience together.
Go on a foodie tour of Marrakech
Couples who love food are sure to enjoy taking a food tour of the Red City. Not only can you explore local markets together and learn more about typical ingredients and cooking equipment, but you will also be taken to special spots where you can savour local flavours and home-cooked dishes made using recipes that have been handed down through the generations. It’s a great way for foodies to escape the tourist crowds and find hidden authentic spots to dine.
Shop for gifts in the souks
Whether you want to treat yourself or your date to a couple of gifts, wandering around the bustling souks of Marrakech can be a terrific way to spend a few hours together in the historic city. Navigate the narrow and twisting lanes, peruse an array of local goods, and practice your haggling skills. There will certainly be plenty to talk about on your date.
Indulge in a couple’s hammam
A soothing Moroccan hammam can be fantastic for couples who want to enjoy a little blissful pampering during their special time together. Although most hammams are segregated by gender, there are a handful of spas around the city that offer packages for couples. Let the steam work its magic!
Relax in the Menara Gardens
The Menara Gardens is a terrific spot for romance seekers. Sit in the shade of the olive trees and lap up the calm and tranquil air, stroll arm in arm around the reflecting pool, and snap selfies together in front of the pretty pavillion.
Admire beauty in the Majorelle Gardens
One of Marrakech’s loveliest gardens, the Majorelle Gardens are home to a diverse selection of plants, flowers, and cacti, as well as a pond, statues, and soothing water features. Plenty of semi-secluded nooks offer the perfect place to linger for a while with that special someone, and culture lovers may enjoy viewing the exhibits in the onsite Berber museum.
Hike a nearby waterfall
There are two beautiful waterfalls that are within easy reach of Marrakech and make for great day-trip dates for lovers of the great outdoors. Hike the multi-level waterfall of Setti Fatma at Ourika Valley for an energetic date, helping each other to clamber over the large rocks and step across small streams. Alternatively, visit Ouzoud Falls and admire the large waterfall from above before following the shaded pathways for different views and to see the Barbary macaques that call the area home.
Ride in a hot air balloon at Ourika Valley
If you really want to impress your date, why not consider a ride in a hot air balloon? Drift through the skies over the lush landscapes of the Ourika Valley, just a short distance from Marrakech, and admire the picturesque vistas.
Soar through the mountains on a zipline
If an action-packed and adrenalin-fuelled date would be more to your liking, Terres d’Amanar could be just what you are looking for. The adventure park has a range of activities, including mountain biking, hiking, archery, climbing, and horse riding. Ramp up the thrill with the tree-top wire course and the suspension bridge, or, for the ultimate high-octane date, strap up, hold on, and whizz over the yawning valley on the zipline.
Watch the Fantasia show at Chez Ali
While Marrakech has numerous top-notch restaurants that are perfect for a pleasant date, inject something a little different into your dining experience with a trip to Chez Ali. Not only will you be treated to a sumptuous feast, but you and the object of your desires can be thoroughly entertained by the exciting Fantasia show. Skilled riders show their prowess on proud steeds, dramatic music and booming gunshots fill the air, and the atmosphere is electric.
Art galleries, museums, plentiful bars and restaurants, shopping malls, and markets add to the city’s appeal. Marrakech really is an ideal place for those looking for diverse experiences to enjoy with a special person.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.