Every year we consume 100 billion bananas grown in over 150 countries. However, the banana is under attack by Panama Disease, threatening the fruit’s very existence. Fortunately, one African country may be the saviour – here’s how Madagascar might save bananas from extinction.
Bananas are a major cash crop in Madagascar and are often the main feature in meals, particularly in desserts. In local mythology, Zanahary (The Creator) asked the Malagasy “whether they preferred to die the way a banana plant dies or the way the moon dies.” The Malagasy chose the banana plant because “when it dies, many new banana plants will still grow from it’s base. But when the moon dies, it leaves no children behind.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The most common banana species, the Gros Michel, was eventually wiped out by Panama Disease decades ago. The disease spread from Central America to the rest of the world. The Cavendish variety became the world’s most commercially grown banana, but due to another recent strain of the same disease, now called TP4 (Tropical Race 4), the banana’s only hope may be found on the islands of Madagascar.
The bananas of Madagascar
The Madagascar banana, known scientifically as Ensete perrieri, is a wild species of banana endemic to the western coast of the island. It’s pretty inedible on it’s own, but if cross-pollinated with the Cavendish, a disease resistant banana might be produced. The Madagascar banana grows in dry, tropical forested regions but is under threat from burning for agricultural purposes.
Because there are only five mature banana trees left in five localities of Madagascar, they have been included on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) red list for threatened species. The IUCN list is the “world’s most comprehensive information source on the global conservation status of animal, fungi and plant species… Far more than a list of species and their status, it is a powerful tool to inform and catalyze action for biodiversity conservation and policy change”.
There are various conservation actions that have been in place for several years. According to the Kew Madagascar Conservation Centre, “seedlings have been seen growing around the bottom of mature plants, giving hope that these seedings will grow to become mature plants, capable of flowering and producing more seed. Plants have also been found growing in the Tsingy de Bemaraha Strict Nature Reserve. This is a protected area managed by the Madagascar National Parks, giving the wild banana protection from potential dangers to its habitat”.
Madagascar is one of the world’s largest biologically-rich countries. It has approximately 12,000 species of flora with 70 to 80% of them endemic to the country. For instance, Madagascar has six out of nine species of baobab, including the African baobab. It also has nearly 1000 known species of orchids, of which 85% are endemic.
If the Madagascar banana becomes the savior of the world’s banana, it could lead to more job creation in the country’s agricultural sector. Agriculture, which comprises a large percent of African countries’ gross domestic product (GDP), accounts for approximately 23% and employs approximately 80% of the population. According to CNN Africa, “In Africa, bananas are critical for food security and income generation for more than 100 million people”.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.