Kenya’s coastline is dotted with dazzling tropical beaches, each with its own character. Lamu being more cultural, while Nyali’s proximity to Mombasa makes it more urbanised. From powdery sands to sacred forests and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, read on for the best seaside spots and their surroundings
The surrounding lush vegetation sharply contrasts with the white, powdery beaches and the turquoise water, lending Diani a radiant appeal. There is a wide range of accommodation, with beach resorts, hotels, hostels and honeymoon tree houses. If you are not a water sports enthusiast, spend some time at the Colobus Conservation or hug a tree at the Kaya Kinondo Sacred Forest.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Watamu and Turtle Bay
Watamu beach does not stretch for miles on end, but what it lacks it length, it makes up for with adventure. Its enormous coral reef makes it a perfect spot to snorkel and scuba dive. Sea turtles nest on a stretch of the beach near to the reef. If you are lucky, you could swim with whale sharks, depending on the time of the year. If not, head out to Arabuko Sokoke forest for a short safari. History buffs will be delighted by the sight of the Gede Ruins, an abandoned medieval settlement.
Malindi beach is adjacent to Watamu beach, but you get to it first from Mombasa. The locals call it ‘Little Italy’ due to the large population of Italian tourists. Anglers come too, during the deep-sea fishing season, while water sports enthusiasts are present year-round to snorkel, waterski and scuba dive. The club scene comes alive after dark.
Lamu is the land of dhows. Dhow sailing is a cultural tradition in Lamu and the locals hold an annual competition. Dhows are the cheapest mode of transport, used to ferry people from Lamu beach to Shela beach and Manda Island, all the way to Kiwayu Island right next to Kiunga Marine National Reserve.
You can set sail to watch the sunset in the deep sea, or cruise all the way to the marine park to snorkel and swim with dolphins if your timing is right, or you can go on an excursion to view the ruins of Takwa. Best of all is spending the night at sea on a luxurious dhow after a sumptuous meal of freshly caught fish.
This is a real hidden gem. This tranquil beach is often snubbed in favour of its neighbour, Diani beach, due to its lack of amenities. Besides the 4-star Tiwi Beach Resort, the only other accommodation are cottages and guesthouses, with no bars and restaurants to hang out.
Tiwi makes up for this deficit by being one of the best snorkelling spots – you can actually touch the coral reef as you walk along the shores of the beach. It is well-liked by locals, particularly those from Nairobi. What makes this beach more appealing is the lack of beach boys. If you still insist, you can easily cross the Mwachema river in low tide to get to Diani beach.
Shanzu is a secluded beach located in North Coast. The extensive length of the beach sparkles like a million tiny jewels under the dazzling sunlight. The coral reef starts right at the shoreline and the coconut palms form the backdrop to the beach. It is perfect for passive beach holidays; besides a trip to Fort Jesus, there are no adrenaline-stirring adventures available. Maybe that is why it is favoured by German and Swiss tourists.
Nyali beach, being a short distance from Mombasa, is well developed and appeals to holidaymakers who do not wish to wander far from the trappings of urbanisation. There is plenty of accommodation from which to choose. The beach itself is close to Mombasa Marine Park, where you can go snorkelling. You can also opt to view the marine life through a glass-bottomed boat. Spend time off the water at Haller Park, Mamba Village Centre or Nguuni Sanctuary. At night, hit the club scene in Mombasa or within Nyali.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.