Lake Tanganyika is one of the world’s most outstanding freshwater reserves offering visitors the amazing opportunity to see Burundi’s incredible nature and culture.
Other countries that border the lake are the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania and Zambia. The lake offers opportunities to contemplate the beauty of Burundi through its men and women, its nature, its animals, and its infrastructures. Here are the great things that can be done or seen around Lake Tanganyika in Burundi.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sunbathe with hippos
Lake Tanganyika is home to an amazing variety of animals that attract tourists throughout the year. The lake is home to animals that live both in the lake and along its banks. It’s a great viewing spot for crocodiles, but espeically hippos that, from time to time, leave the lake to tan on the beaches and offer a unique spectacle to tourists and admirers of nature.
Have a beer on Lake Tanganyika
The Lake Tanganyika area boasts some renowned bars. Yucca Beach Restaurant and bar, with its array of imported, as well as locally-crafted beers, is the most popular spot among tourists. Other great places to relax with an ice-cold drink are Nyabugete Beach and the newly-established Zion Beach.
At the edge of Lake Tanganyika, we dance!
Imagine yourself dancing all night to traditional music, rumba and reggae along the lake shore. Take part in karaoke or dance parties thrown at La Costa Beach, Yucca Beach, Zion Beach, Nyabugete Beach, Club du Lac, Tanganyika Club, Cape Town Beach, Nonara Beach, Saga Plage, Saga Vodo, Karera Beach, and Black and White Beach. If you think Bujumbura is noisy over the weekend then get ready for the parties on the lake. A cool evening breeze carries the sounds of celebration across the water and well into the night.
Visit tourist squares on the shores of Lake Tanganyika
Burton and Speake square near Nyanza Lac in southern Burundi, is one of the most monumental squares in which visitors can learn about the history of the two explorers who spent some time on the shores of Lake Tanganyika. The Stanley and Livingston Stone south of the capital Bujumbura and about 15 kilometers from the lake is the place to learn about the history of foreign exploration on the African continent between the 17th and 18th centuries. The Rumonge Moss Castle, one of the infrastructures built on Lake Tanganyika, is classified as a historical monument from the colonial era. It serves traditional Burundian food and has become a popular bar in the area.
Try Mukeke, found only in Lake Tanganyika
On the shores of Lake Tanganyika, fresh Mukeke is served. It is a special fish found only in Lake Tanganyika that is typically grilled or fried. It has a unique yet delicious flavour. Served fresh on the shores of the lake, in bars or restaurants, Mukeke is a most coveted delicacy. There are also other forms of fish that a tourist can enjoy from the region, including Ndagala, captain fish (sanagala) and Inonzi, ibisaya.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.