Always wanted to see the Big Five on an African safari? Make it a reality with these TRIPS by Culture Trip and other small-group adventures.
Seeing the Big Five – lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and buffalo – on safari is an experience that’s going to stay with you long after you’ve left the Great Rift Valley or the Namib Desert. The best African safari tours combine traditional game drives with the chance to stay overnight in the wilderness and on these adventures across Southern Africa and East Africa – bookable on Culture Trip – you’ll meet the local communities striving to safeguard both the wildlife and their own cultures and traditions. To inspire your next adventure, here are the best safaris to book in Africa.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Immersive Kenya, for the ultimate savannah experience
Kenya is the ultimate bucket-list safari destination and this eight-day Culture Trip safari tour takes you from the Great Rift Valley, right through to the Maasai Mara National Reserve. Get to know the group and the Kenyan capital when you arrive in Nairobi, before speeding off into Aberdare National Park for a stay in a gorgeous mountainous country lodge. Next up is Lake Nakuru national park, where you’ll spend the night and embark on a game drive, spotting thousands of bright pink flamingos, leopards and black rhinos. The trip ends in Kenya’s most massive nature reserve, the Maasai Mara, which is an extension of the Serengeti. This place is home to the Big Five, as well as the famous great migration of wildebeest. our trip features multiple game drives through the region, as we spend three nights at a luxury camp in the heart of the savannah. When you’re not on safari drives or watching zebra trot by the campfire, you’ll be spending a day with a local Maasai tribe, learning about the daily lives of this rural indigenous community.
Next available from 11th Feb 2024
Secure your spot with a low deposit
Trip highlights and details
Splendid South Africa, for a luxury safari retreat
On this 11-day South African adventure, not only will you visit some of the continent’s prime wildlife viewing spots – you’ll also explore Cape Town, ascend Table Mountain, go wine tasting in Stellenbosch and kayak with penguins in Simons Town. After traversing the Garden Route – arguably the most scenic stretch of road in South Africa – you’ll arrive at Gondwana Game Reserve. Here you’ll spend two nights in an incredible luxury lodge, fit with bush spa and infinity pool, which is sometimes frequented by local elephants. You’ll get to go on up to four game drives across 11,000ha (over 27,000 acres) of private wilderness, hopefully spotting every member of the Big Five across two mornings and two afternoons spent with expert local rangers. There’ll also be hippos, cheetahs and giraffes roaming the region, as well as rare breeds of antelope and zebra. If that’s not enough, you can also borrow the lodge’s mountain bikes and go exploring yourself, as well as booking fynbos and birdwatching walks to further explore the area’s remarkable wildlife.
Next available from 3rd Feb 2024
Secure your spot with a low deposit
Trip highlights and details
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town, South Africa
Additional words by Gethin Morgan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.