Kabylie, or Kabylia, is the historical and cultural home of the Kabylian people. Over time, the region and its people have forged a reputation for tremendous fight and resistance when faced with adversity that continues today.
The Kabylie area is situated on the northern tip of Algeria, in north Africa, between the Tell Atlas Mountains (to the south) and the Mediterranean Sea (to the north).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kabylie made up part of the Kingdom of Numidia and the Roman Empire, with the Berber Quinquegentiani tribe rebelling against the latter, but eventually being driven out of the area. Because of the region’s mountainous terrain, only small parts of it were conquered by the Ottoman Empire during the Middle Ages, with the higher parts of Kabylie remaining relatively autonomous. That said, Islam was gradually adopted during the time of Ottoman rule in northern Africa, although not as quickly or as strictly as other parts of the empire. Kabylie’s relative independence continued under the Regency of Algiers, right up until the arrival of Europeans and French colonisation.
After large resistance, Kabylie eventually fell under French rule in the middle of the 19th century. It was then that Kabylie established its first defined borders, becoming the administrative territory that remains today. It also became the focal point for resistance against the French, and continued an element of resistance against the country’s government even when Algeria gained its own independence in 1962.
The Berber Spring in 1980 saw consistent protesting in defence and protection of the region’s Berber identity, and against the country’s “Islamification”, but was ended violently by the state. This was repeated when in 2001 a student (Massinissa Guermah) died while being held under police custody, with huge rioting taking place as a result. Algeria’s response to the riots, known as the Black Spring, led to thousands being wounded and 123 deaths. In the summer of the same year, the Movement for the Autonomy of Kabylie (MAK) was formed, with the movement’s main policy being independence from Algeria.
Kabylie are competing at the 2018 CONIFA World Cup, here’s everything you need to know about the tournament.
Since Algeria declared independence there have been tensions between Kabylie and the country’s central government, particularly through the Socialist Forces Front (FFS). Although the historical region covers a number of different Algerian districts, Kabylie doesn’t have any of its own politcal sovereignty or independence.
The predominant ethnic group is Kabyle. Their language – a variety of Berber – is also called Kabyle. Berber and its variations was recognised as a national language of Algeria in 2002, and an official language of Algeria in 2016. The majority of the Kabyle population are Muslim, although there is a Christian minority. France also has a Kabyle diaspora of around one million.
Population: 7,500 approx.
Major languages: Kabyle (Tamazight), French, Algerian Arabic
Major religions: Islam
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.