Filmmaker Rachid Bouchareb was born in France to Algerian parents. His incendiary films scrutinise the fractious and complex relationship between France and its former colony, while also investigating cultural and ethnic conflicts and discrimination in other realms.
The French-Algerian director Rachid Bouchareb has a reputation for producing thought-provoking films that challenge notions of multiculturalism and immigration. His works interrogate the ways in which cultural and ethnic differences are played out in different societies during historical periods: from the battlefields of World War II to present day London in the aftermath of the 7/7 terrorist attacks.
His 2006 film Days of Glory depicted the discrimination within the Free French Forces against colonial North African soldiers, who were treated as second-class citizens despite fighting for the liberation of France. Focusing on the exploits of a group of Berber soldiers from Algeria and Tunisia, the film offers a disturbing portrayal of the injustices forced upon these men, including one shocking episode in which, in the midst of a battle, it becomes clear that North African soldiers are being used as cannon fodder by their commanding officers.
Bouchared’s poignant depiction of the suffering of these soldiers and the deeply discriminatory military establishment offered a prism through which to examine the modern day discrimination of immigrants in France. His film had a profound impact on public discourse in France, and helped to bring about a change in the way North African veterans were viewed.
Many of Bouchared’s other films also look at discrimination and the negotiation of cultural difference in changing societies, as well as the chaotic and often violent legacy of colonialism. Outside the Law, a standalone sequel to Days of Glory, depicts the Algerian struggle for independence from France. The story follows three Algerian brothers who, following the Sétif massacre in 1945, go to France to become freedom fighters.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The sweeping historical epic follows the course of their battle for independence over the next few decades. The film was attacked by some in the French media for its inflammatory depiction of certain events in the battle for Algerian independence. While the film is wilfully and explicitly partisan and makes no attempt to be a historically accurate depiction, there’s no denying the righteous anger it provokes in the viewer.
London River (2009) saw Bouchared depart from the Algerian-French conflict and instead focus on cultural and ethnic entanglements of a different sort. London River portrays the coming together of individuals from two very different cultural backgrounds, a mother from Guernsey and a father from Mali, who now lives in France and are united in their search for their respective missing children following the 7/7 bombings in London. They are both bewildered by multicultural London, but find that their common purpose dispels whatever friction their various cultural differences may provoke.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.