From cut-price crashpads in Colonia del Sacramento to affordable addresses in Punta del Este, this sometimes pricey Latin American country has plenty of budget-friendly bases to offer.
While Uruguay is one of South America’s more expensive countries, you don’t need to sacrifice comfort or blow your budget when it comes to a great night’s sleep. From capital city Montevideo to glitzy beach resort Punta del Este and the laidback riverside town of Colonia del Sacramento, you can stay at one of the country’s budget-friendly bases, then splash out on life’s finer things such as quality dining, wine tastings or a day out in the countryside.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on a piece of prime real estate in capital Montevideo’s upscale Pocitos barrio, Hyatt Centric counts on fabulous waterside views over the Río de la Plata (River Plate). Spacious rooms draw from a neutral palette, ensuring those watery snapshots really stand out. Work up an appetite at the fitness center and indoor heated pool before enjoying a farm-to-table lunch at Plantado restaurant.
Located in Uruguay’s north, a stone’s throw from the Brazilian border, a stay at the fittingly-named Frontier Hotel Rivera means you can breeze easily between the two nations. Take a tropical fruit-forward breakfast on the roof terrace and enjoy the cityscape views. On sunny days, top up your tan on the solarium. Gym bunnies can head to the fitness center for a workout.
Sunseekers will adore Ramona’s picture-perfect location opposite Playa Grande beach in the southern coastal city of Piriápolis – a short drive from scenic Laguna del Sauce lake and Francisco Piria castle. While many of the well-kept rooms, decorated with cowhide rugs, have poolside vistas, our tip is to wake up to the waves with a beach-facing upgrade. Try your hand at cooking an Uruguayan-style barbecue; grills are free for guests to use.
Wake up with Colonia del Sacramento’s romantic old town right on your doorstep when you stay at the charming Don Antonio lodge. With an array of sights, such as Plaza de Armas and the lighthouse, a short walk away, this posada is extremely well located. Well-appointed rooms are airy, with whitewashed walls and many open on the interior courtyard. After a day on your feet, kick back next to the small-but-soothing centerpiece swimming pool.
With a perfect location on the banks of the Rió de la Plata, plump for a room with river views at smart Costa Colonia. Being only a short walk from Colonia de Sacramento’s Ciudad Vieja (Old Town) means you can get lost among the cute cobbled streets and museums, before enjoying poolside downtime back at the hotel. Guests will appreciate the second heated indoor pool in winter. Scandinavian design rules in spacious rooms where king-size beds are the norm.
You can’t avoid waterfront views at Atlántico Hotel, given its location on Punta del Este’s buzzing peninsula – the question is whether you’ll wake up to Playa Mansa or Playa Brava. When beaches pack out in summer, top up your tan in Atlántico’s garden and freshen up in the pool with a cocktail. Minimalist rooms with nautical touches are light and bright; groups of eight should book the spacious two-bed apartment to spread the costs further still.
With a central downtown location, just two blocks from Montevideo’s Plaza Independencia in the Arts District, Smart Hotel is an ideal base to check out Montevideo’s key sights on foot, such as Palacio Estévez. Spic-and-span rooms are airy and decorated with neutral tones; all include a sofa. Stop by the Bar Americano for gastro-pub fare such as bruschetta and mushroom risotto.
Splendido Hotel is set on one of the many renovated buildings in the Ciudad Vieja (Old City) of Montevideo. Not far from the city center, this area is ideal for travelers looking to explore historical parts of the city with all its rich architecture and culture. The hotel was built circa 1900 in the style of Art Decó, a style prominent in the area. Remaining true to its history, Splendido Hotel offers rooms with retro-inspired décor and mid-century vintage design objects. You can see Solis Theater, one of the most beautiful buildings in Montevideo, from the balconies of the rooms.
Quebrada de Los Cuervos is a stunning location for people who enjoy the outdoors. There are multiple walking and hiking trails of varying difficulties, lakes on which to practice water sports and opportunities for horseback riding, not to mention great rock climbing. El Capricho is a former country house turned inn offering family rooms at competitive prices – ideal to disconnect from the city and explore Uruguay’s extensive countryside.
Located a four-minute walk from one of Uruguay’s most coveted beaches and less than 3km (2mi) from the nearest town, Anacahuita Inn is truly a little piece of paradise. All bedrooms include a private deck and sitting area, with views of the sea and surrounding nature. You’ll have free use of bicycles and can also enjoy activities like horse riding and surfing. The inn is powered by solar panels, so you can diminish your carbon footprint while you’re there.
Hotel America is conveniently located in Montevideo city center, just five blocks away from the historic district with its boutique cafés, art galleries and museums. Fuel up before seeing it all with a stay at Hotel America, where you can enjoy the best buffet breakfast in all of Montevideo.
Las Casquivanas offers couples and groups the possibility of staying in a boutique cottage. These cottages are a well-hidden treasure in the heart of Punta del Diablo, a coastal town in the far east of the country. Punta del Diablo took its name from a fearsome reputation as a shipwreck site back in the 19th century. Today, it is a well-known surf spot frequented by both tourists and locals alike.
Milena Fajardo contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.