Uruguay features some incredible scenery, each one unique to specific parts of the country. Uruguay is often characterized as having a flat landscape, with some hills and a lot of countryside. In reality, you can find small waterfalls, big rocky gorges, narrow valleys, mountain ranges and unique species of plants and animals if you know where to look. If you’re into nature and geology, or just enjoy going on awe-inspiring journeys, have a look at this list for the most epic hikes to take in Uruguay.
Located to the north of the country, next to the border with Brasil, this area offers unique sceneries and nature. The proximity to the south of Brasil makes for a large number of subtropical plants and animals that aren’t found anywhere else in Uruguay. There are hills with flat tops, delineating narrow rocky valleys and gorges. You will spot rock caves, walls, small waterfalls and exuberant vegetation, classic of the subtropical jungle. There are 150 species of birds, some which can only be spotted in this area. Likewise, there are species of amphibians, reptiles, and mammals which are unique to this part of the country. There are five trails you can take here, some that go around the valley and others down the gorges. Find the best ones for you depending on what you want to experience.
This is near the Arequita Hill, which is also very beautiful, but only accessible with a guided tour, so Cerro de los Cuervos is better if you’d rather explore on your own. The entry is through a private campsite, where you can stay or simply pay entry to continue up the hill. At the foot of the hill you will find a lake where you can swim. To go up the hill, you have to first cross a very shallow river, so secondary footwear is recommended. The trail is easily found by going parallel to this river, and the one-hour hike up is nicely shaded due to the vegetation. Needless to say that the view from above, of the rivers and surroundings, is absolutely stunning.
Valizas to Cabo Polonio
Cabo Polonio is a one-of-a-kind seaside town and protected natural reserve. It is home to a wide variety of sea animals, in particular one of the biggest colonies of sea lions in the world. Its massive sand dunes are also protected, so the only way into the town is by authorized vehicles, or a hike from the nearby town, Valizas. The hike is extremely rewarding and adventurous, as you walk on the sand and even have to cross a small stream to reach your destination.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This mountain range is covered by forest and a slightly rocky dirt floor. There are clearly defined hiking trails to go up the mountains, and these are easy enough for families to go up, although long. The walk itself is a display of nature – you walk around trees and bushes, listening to birds chirping. There are also special trails that go to natural rock pools, so ask about them if you want to extend your hike.
The striking gorge-shaped geography has made this area a hiking and camping favourite for years. Its mountain range, made of metamorphic rocks, goes up to 300 metres above sea level. The amount and diversity of animal species here, especially birds, is remarkable. The turkey vulture – whose abundance gives its name to the area – is one of them. There are multiple strategic viewpoints to appreciate them and the other 100 species of birds that inhabit Quebrada de los Cuervos.
This park is a protected natural reserve right next to one of the most beautiful parts of the Uruguayan Atlantic coast. Here you will find a lot of forest, and an easy enough hike to do with kids. There is also an old fortress that is still intact, and very much worth a visit. As you walk through the vegetation you will catch glimpses of the nearby ocean and hear the soft murmur of the waves. After your hike, you can rest right on the beach nearby and take a refreshing dip in the sea.
This is a religious trail where you will find many pilgrims making their way from the city of Salto to see the sanctuary of Padre Pío, or Saint Pío of Pietrelcina. The first six kilometres of the trail is done on a bikeway, safely away from cars and from where you can appreciate the landscapes of the area. You continue walking through Termas del Dayman, a touristic town famous for its thermal baths, and then cross a bridge over the Dayman River. The sanctuary of Padre Pío is famous for fulfilling miracles, and the area in which it’s located is also famous for spotting UFOs.
The “millennial gullies” are a series of very ancient, very large geological formations. This trail allows you to explore and enjoy the majestic eroded rock, along with native species of animals and plants. The landscape is characteristic of this area in the country, so you can get a good idea of the historic, natural, and geological heritage. You can go with a guide on a two hour journey, where the guide will explain and answer everything you want to know.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.