Whether you’re more productive working in a silent library, a relaxed café or in a co-working space surrounded by other entrepreneurs, here are the best workspaces for freelancers in Montevideo, Uruguay.
When it comes to where to go to work, most freelancers go through the process of discovering what suits them. While some can have a hard time focusing if they are at home by themselves, others can get too distracted in a crowded workspace. Some prefer to work in the same place every day to create a routine, while others enjoy the freedom to try new spaces throughout the week. Either way, Uruguay’s capital Montevideo has enough options to suit everyone.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Camelia is an excellent coffee shop that freelancers should consider. It’s usually quiet and has healthy meals for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. It has wide, shared tables and a gorgeous minimalist décor that’s perfect for avoiding distractions. It’s also a good option if you need to set up a meeting with a client. Currently, it has three branches, all in popular areas: Ciudad Vieja, Punta Carretas and Carrasco – another reason to make Camelia one of the best workspaces for freelancers in Montevideo.
Sinergia is the biggest group of coworking spaces in Montevideo, with five offices all located in Montevideo’s main districts. There’s an office in the heart of Palermo, close to some of the most popular public universities; one in Pocitos’s World Trade Center, next to the shopping mall and surrounded by restaurants; another in the heart of Carrasco, with access to all types of facilities; and, since this August, there’s a new Sinergia in Punta Carretas, occupying eight floors in Punta Carretas Tower. There is also Sinergia Design, meant exclusively for designers, which includes stores where the designers can sell their products.
Café Ramona is a cozy café has two branches in Ciudad Vieja and Punta Carretas, two of the main business districts in Montevideo. It has excellent options, as it is both a coffee shop and a restaurant. Ideal for those who want to spend the whole day there; start by sipping on a sweet juice in the morning while catching up on emails, try some of the gourmet options during your lunch break, and keep your momentum going with a cup of coffee and slice of cake in the afternoon. There’s WiFi available, a tidy environment and even an exterior deck to enjoy sun and fresh air… more than enough to beat any traditional office.
This coworking space is in Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo’s oldest neighborhood and within the main business district. Another great plus of this workspace is there’s plenty of public transportation to and from Ciudad Vieja. Also, the cowork honors the neighborhood with its location in Palacio Serratosa, one of the most stunning buildings in town. Sociedad de Arquitectos del Uruguay (the Architect Society of Uruguay) gave Espacio Serratosa the award of one of the best office makeovers of the last 12 years. So this mix of old and modern makes a stunning environment to boost your creativity.
Yes, Starbucks. After many years of waiting, finally Starbucks has arrived in Uruguay! Great news for coffee lovers but also for freelancers, because (as in most countries) this makes a great workspace, with wide spaces, decent coffee at a reasonable price, WiFi connection and no one pushing visitors to leave. Currently, there are two Starbucks in the city, in Montevideo Shopping (Pocitos neighborhood) and in Arocena Avenue, Carrasco’s main street.
Close to Montevideo Shopping, this cowork is a great workspace, next to the mall and close to many facilities such as restaurants, banks, bars and more. Cowork Latam offers the option of paying per day to book either a fixed place, a flexible place, a whole room or an office just for a meeting and all at a very fair price. There are also angel investors among the cowork’s associates, which makes this space a great opportunity for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Biblioteca Nacional (BIBNA), the public national library, is great for freelancers who prefer quiet workspaces and more than ideal for those who work by themselves, as it’s one of the most peaceful places in one of the most busy areas of the city. It’s also ideal if you’ll need access to books to research any topic you may need, as you’ll be surrounded by them here!
Some of the best workspaces in Uruguay are free, which is great for freelancers who can’t afford to pay for an office. The coffee shops and libraries in public universities make great options. However, one con to consider is that they can get a bit noisy at times, when students are working in groups or during their spare time. On the plus side, as well as being free and open to anyone, public universities also have delicious options at great prices in their coffee shops, so you can always fuel your productivity.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.