Upon the discovery of the “New World” European explorers were determined to navigate to all ends of the continent, to be the first settlers to discover a new land in order to stamp their name into the history books. The story of the man, and crew that discovered modern day Uruguay, is, albeit brief, but as interesting as the country is inviting.
Birthplace a mystery
Though it’s unanimously understood that Juan Diaz de Solis was a Spanish explorer, his birthplace and origin is not so clear. Two documents list that he was born in 1470, one document states that he was born in Sevilla in Spain, while the other says he was born in Portugal, possibly Lisbon or São Pedro de Solis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the navy (s)
Whether he was born in Spain or Portugal, he began his life in Spain but moved to Portugal to join the Portuguese India Armada and begin his naval career as a pilot. He also served for a short time in the French Fleets before returning to Spain to join the Spanish Navy.
Born, Juan Diaz de Solis, he began his career in the Portuguese Armada under the name of João, the Portuguese translation of Juan, both being the English translations of the name John.
Between 1506 and 1507, Solis was commissioned as a navigator aboard an expedition to the Yucatan Peninsula of southern Mexico. It is said that when the Spanish arrived and inquired as to the name of the land they had arrived at, the local Mayan responded “Yucatan” which in their native tongue translates closely to, “I do not understand you.”
Rio de La Plata
The world’s largest river mouth that spans the gap between Uruguay and Argentina, Rio de la Plata, was named by Juan Diaz de Solis, inferring that Argentina and the river were filled with silver. A number of places around Argentina have names bearing the same reference like Mar del Plata and La Plata south of the capital.
Departing on October 8th 1515, Solis, three ships and his crew of 70 men departed on an expedition to further explore the southern reaches of South America. Maneuvering the eastern shores of the continent and the coast of modern day Uruguay, a small subfleet of nine men sailed up the Rio del Plata to where the Uruguay and Parana Rivers meet.
Upon arrival to the mainland, the seven men and two officers disembarked the ships and after venturing a little way from the coast were met with fierce resistance from the local tribes of the Charrua and Guarani people, and were attacked.
After being almost instantly attacked upon arrival, Juan Diaz de Solis, and most of his small crew, who were not prepared for battle, were killed shortly after their arrival and the surviving crew retreated to the fleet and the expedition came to a close.
It is believed that Juan Diaz de Solis was then eaten by the Charrua people however this is disputed as the Charrua tribe did not practice cannibalism. More accurately, it is believed the Guarani people, who did eat their own kind, did the deed.
Bearing the name
Although his time on the land that he discovered was very brief, his impact is still visible with a few towns, bodies of water, a highway, and even the most important theatre in Montevideo all bearing his name.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.