Punta del Este is so big and has such varied regions with so much to do, that it might seem overwhelming to plan only 48 hours here. Follow this thorough plan, though, and know that you are making the absolute best out of every second.
Day 1: José Ignacio, Manantiales and La Barra
Start your journey on the east coast, and drive to José Ignacio, the chicest beach town in Uruguay, where you can spend the morning on the paradisiac beach. The sun in Uruguay is brutal, and it’s best advised to avoid it from 11am to 4pm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At around 11am, head to La Huella, a world famous restaurant right on Jose Ignacio’s beach. Have an amazing early lunch, avoiding the crowds that usually form later in the day. It’s best to order many plates to share, specially with seafood.
After lunch, you can walk around the quaint town (with good hats on as there’s little shade) and go to the lighthouse to enjoy panoramic views. The next destination will be Manantiales, but instead of going straight there, go through El Chorro so you can make a stop at the Pablo Atchugarry Foundation.
Pablo Atchugarry is a famous contemporary Uruguayan sculptor, and his foundation consists of three gallery spaces and an impressive sculpture park. You can see moving exhibitions, a permanent collection of Atchugarry’s sculptures, and the tastefully curated sculpture park, which balances the styles of the sculptures by artists from all over the world with the breathtaking natural setting.
After the visit, head to Manantiales’ main street and have one of the succulent crepes at Crepas if you’re in need of a snack. Walk down to Bikini Beach, one of the most popular beaches in Punta del Este. You can spot surfers (or surf yourself) and stay for the sunset party at the beach bar.
After sunset, have dinner at Cactus y Pescados, an amazing restaurant close to the beach, or the renowned No Me Olvides. No Me Olvides has literally the best pizza that you will ever have in your life (ok, maybe just in Uruguay), good drinks and a lively atmosphere. Leave room to have ice cream for dessert in Volta, which has the tastiest ice creams in Punta del Este.
There are some hotels and Airbnbs in Manantiales where you can stay, but if you’re up for moving on (recommended) take a very short drive to La Barra and check out some of the great bars in and around the vibrant main street. You can also go back to Jose Ignacio (these are all a very short distance away), and stay in the luxurious Playa Vik.
Day 2: Punta del Este City Centre & Punta Ballena
Wake up and drive straight to La Barra – you can have breakfast in one of the many coffeehouses there (Medialunas Calentitas has the tastiest milkshakes and delicious mini croissants).
You can go to Montoya Beach if you fancy a swim or a surf, and at around 11am head back to the main street, well equipped with a hat and good sunscreen. Take your time to walk around, do some shopping and check out the restaurants. There are many places with different cuisines to choose for lunch, but a light one is especially recommended for today.
After lunch, cross the fancy bridge that leads to Punta del Este city centre. Visit “The Hand”, the characteristic sculpture of Punta del Este by Mario Irarrázabal, that depicts five fingers coming out of the sand. You can have a stroll on Brava Beach and then walk around the city centre, where you will find streets with luxe brands and the famous Gorlero Avenue.
Head to the port at around 4pm, and go on either a fishing or a sea animals sightseeing boat trip (book in advance). The sightseeing trip is particularly good because you visit a big island, home to a colony of sea lions, and sometimes you see dolphins and whales. You can also go by boat to Gorriti Island, right across Punta del Este, perfect for exploring and sunbathing.
Drive to Punta Ballena along the beach promenade, admiring the scenic view. Punta Ballena has an incredible 360 degree viewpoint, absolutely perfect to watch the sunset.
Have dinner at the restaurant in Casapueblo, a former art studio, turned museum, turned hotel, designed by the famous artist and architect Carlos Paez Vilaró. The terraced restaurant is splendid, and a great opportunity to admire the unique honeycomb-shaped building, and its museum, from the inside.
A dinner alternative is to head down to the other side of Punta Ballena where there are several places to choose from. Medio & Medio is particularly good, and sometimes offers jazz shows and other live music. You can also have dinner at Casapueblo and go to one of those places for a drink or dessert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.