Montevideo has a reputation for being pricey. By South American standards, this enigmatic metropolis can make even Buenos Aires look like a budget destination. But that’s not to say there aren’t plenty of ways to get some bang for your buck. Here’s our budget traveller’s guide to Uruguay’s coolest city.
What to do and see
Tour the museums
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Montevideo’s collection of amazing museums is totally free. The city has more than 50 museums, showcasing local curiosities as well as internationally renowned fine art masterpieces. From remnants of Uruguay’s cowboy culture at Museo del Gaucho to world artifacts at the Intendencia’s Museo de la Historia del Arte, uncover some of the city’s historical gems without spending a dime.
Museo del Gaucho, Avenida 18 de Julio 998, Montevideo, Uruguay
Museo de la Historia del Arte, Ejido 1326, la Intendencia de Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay
Wander the Rambla
Perhaps Montevideo’s most enduring draw, the Rambla is a meeting point, a sports track and a proposed UNESCO World Heritage site, all in one. Curving around the coast for miles, this sun-kissed promenade is perfect for people watching, cycling and mateando (sharing mate – Uruguay’s herbal answer to coffee – with friends). Pack a picnic, set out to find your favourite spot along the Rambla and watch the sun set beneath the horizon.
Scan the city’s skyline
Montevideo at street level isn’t much to write home about, but look up and you’ll see some wonderful examples of colonial architecture alongside flamboyant Art Deco roofs. For a bird’s eye view, head to Palacio Salvo on Plaza Independencia and take an elevator to the top floor for free. You’ll be rewarded by dazzling views of the city’s chequered rooftops, from Ciudad Vieja to Barrio Sur and the Río de la Plata beyond.
Palacio Salvo, Plaza Independencia 848, Montevideo, Uruguay
Join a street party
All year round there’s something going on in Montevideo’s streets. Late summer sees Carnaval dominate the city’s central barrios, lasting 40 days and nights, well into February. It’s a wildly vibrant celebration of African immigrant culture, soundtracked by candombe (a fantastical rhythm created by dancing and drums), as well as murga and tablados, and colourful street performances. In the depths of winter, stay up late on Montevideo’s La Noche de la Nostalgia, when bars and clubs play hits from days gone by until the wee small hours.
What to eat and drink
One of Uruguay’s cheapest and most delicious exports is its beef. Move over Argentina, this is the real deal. Head to La Pulpería for big portions of succulent asado, served with crispy fries and fresh salad. Beloved by locals, it’s one of the best value parrillas in the city. Get there early to beat the crowds – this tiny place doesn’t take reservations.
La Pulpería, Lagunillas 448, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2710 8657
Nestled down in pretty Punta Carretas, Pizzeria Trouville serves up some of Montevideo’s best slices at reasonable prices. Always packed with locals and holidaying Argentinians, this friendly joint’s menu is packed with Italian classics, sandwiches and local red wines. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a complimentary fainá – gooey, delicious chickpea bread.
Pizzeria Trouville, Francisco Vidal 650, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2710 3601
Empanadas are a staple of Latin American cuisine. Tiny pasties stuffed with everything and the kitchen sink, they’re tasty, filling, cheap and available pretty much everywhere in the city. For some of the best, try Empanadas Carolina in Mercado del Puerto. At just 51 pesos for an empanada and 60 pesos for a chilled beer, you can make up a picnic to take to one of Montevideo’s leafy parks for next to nothing.
Empanadas Carolina, Piedras 237, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2916 6410
Where to stay
If you’re raring to experience Montevideo’s nightlife, spend a night at El Viajero in the city’s Centro barrio. This party hostel has compact dorms, a lively terrace and its own mini supermarket. At the 24-hour reception, friendly staff will point you in the direction of the city’s best bars and clubs. With air con and live music throughout the summer, a bunk at around US$17 a night is not to be sniffed at – just don’t forget your ear plugs.
Dorm beds from US$16; private rooms from US$27.
El Viajero, Soriano 1073, Centro, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2908 2913
This charming hotel in Ciudad Vieja will transport you to another age. Influenced by European guest houses of old, Hotel Palacio is a tranquil, quaint retreat from the bustling city. With rooms starting at less than $50 a night, stunning views across the port and a central location, it’s a steal in the old city. Add warm service and some gorgeously restored antique features and even the modest price tag is all the more worth it.
Single rooms from $40; superior double rooms from US$45.
Hotel Palacio, Bartolomé Mitre 1364, Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2916 3612
This upmarket hostel combines uber-cool design with a friendly backpacker vibe. It’s the only hostel in Montevideo with a swimming pool out on its sun-drenched terrace. Complimentary lockers, breakfast and that all-important free WiFi, as well as a well-stocked, all-night kitchen and a piano for the musically inclined, make this hostel a cheap and cheerful place for a pitstop.
Dorm beds from US$14; private rooms from US$40.
Ukelele Hostel, Maldonado 1183,Barrio Sur, Montevideo, Uruguay, +598 2902 7844
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.