Uruguay is the home of great food, so it stands to reason that Uruguayans would be able to produce some amazing beverages to go with it. Their fresh fish has been coupled with great national white wines like Albariños, and the country’s crown jewel has been the development of its signature red, Tannat, which makes a perfect match with red meat. This small country is the fourth largest producer of wine in Latin America, and the list below explores eight of the finest vintages Uruguay has to offer.
Estancia La Cruz Florida 1997 (Tannat)
This is an extremely good red with a marvelous aroma of cherries and other berries, along with chocolate notes. The most prominent flavor comes from the tannins of the Tannat grapes, which have dominated Uruguayan wines since they were brought over by Basque settlers almost four hundred years ago. Tradition runs deep in this bottle of wine, and its aftertaste envelops the mouth and leaves you wanting more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bodega Bouza – Bouza Albariño (Albariño)
The Albariño is a particular variety of white grape brought over from Iberia, which is now also popular in California and Australia. This particular white wine has a noticeable botanical aroma almost reminiscent of peaches. It is a modern Uruguayan take on the Iberian classic.
Viña Eden Chardonnay 2015 (Chardonnay)
This young winery is the perfect example of the triumph of passion and precision in wine-making. It has a welcome innovative fervor that is uncommon in the world of wine. This vintage has a fresh balance with elements of coconut, pineapple, and a touch of citrus that has an exciting finish that lasts on the tongue. Expect to hear a lot more about this vineyard and its wines in the near future.
Familia Deicas – 1er cru Garage 2000/2006 (Tannat)
This Tannat wine by Familia Deicas is a treat for any wine enthusiast. The winery, or bodega, has been passed down over the generations and prides itself on its fusion of tradition and innovation. Presently, this winery combines several techniques and styles that are adapted from locations all around the world.
Bodega Garzón – Albariño 2013 (Albariño)
This wonderfully crisp white wine is an affordable taste of charm and distinction that has a light body and smooth finish. It is from a nationally celebrated winery near the city of Punta del Este, and as such it is the perfect companion of fresh seafood dishes and rich salads.
Alto de la Ballena – Reserva Tannat-Viognier (Tannat-Viognier)
This bodega is small and relatively new to the game, but what it lacks in age it makes up for in quality. They have a highly-celebrated vintage that combines the classic Uruguayan Tannat with 15 percent fragrant Viognier from France with delicious consequences.
Bodega Bouza – Tannat B1 Parcela Única (Tannat)
This is one of most renowned wineries in Uruguay. They are famous for their range of reds and whites that stretch through every price bracket. One of their most acclaimed bottles that is especially tasty is the Tannat B1 Parcela Única of the 2015 vintage.
Viña Varela Zarranz – Brut Nature (Chardonnay-Viognier)
This is a truly remarkable sparkling wine composed of 50 percent Chardonnay and 50 percent French Viognier. It is light bodied, containing delicate notes of candied white fruits and toasted bread before a dry finish. It is an incredible sparkling wine that goes great with starters and desserts alike.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.