So you’re coming to Lima with the entire family – not to worry! Lima can be navigable and family friendly with plenty of activities for the entire family, even the little ones. There’s no need to hide in the hotel awaiting your plane to Cusco. Here are some family-friendly things to do with everyone while in Lima.
One of the best ways to spend a day in Lima is by exploring the Malecón and the beach neighborhoods of San Isidro, Miraflores and Barranco. The best way to see it all while enjoying yourself – Lima traffic is a nightmare – is by riding a bike. Because of Lima’s intense traffic this will be the most bike friendly route in the city and it gives you beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eat fresh ceviche
Eating ceviche is great for the entire family. It will most likely be their first tasting of the dish, and, as long as they love fish, they are sure to enjoy it. It’ll be a great experience and sure to leave everyone satisfied.
Catch some waves
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to surf but have never found the time, Lima’s the place. There are friendly surf instructors year-round at Playa Waikiki in Miraflores and plenty of boards and wetsuits to rent. Lima is known for having good waves, so it’s your time to finally learn how to surf as a family.
Swim with sea lions
Off the coast of Lima lies Palomino Island where your family will get a chance to swim with sea lions and their pups. Tours can be arranged from your hotel or hostel for an unforgettable family experience. Consider asking the guide to take a family photo with everyone in their wetsuits and sea lion pups swimming around everyone.
Picarones in the park
The Peruvian dessert classic will be a hit with the entire family. What’s not to love about fried sweet potato dough smothered in syrup? At all of Lima’s most well known parks – Parque Kennedy and the Bridge of Sighs – you’ll find a picarone vendor. Peru prides itself on its parks and there’s no better way to enjoy them than with a picarone in hand.
Circuito Mágico del Agua is a water park located in Lima where the family can spend a day cooling off from the Lima heat. They have plenty of fun, interactive water fountains and even have a water show at night.
People watch in the historical center
If you’re feeling tired after running around Lima checking out all of the sites, take a seat and go no further. Plop down on a bench in Lima’s Plaza de Armas for some entertaining people watching. Take it further by venturing down the busy Unión street, where you’ll see street performers lining the streets.
The best museum in the city for the kids, Choco Museum is basically a chocolate store with some chocolate making tutorials. The kids will love their wide variety of flavors and interactive activities.
Choco Museum, Calle Berlin 375, Miraflores 15074, Peru +51 1 4459708
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.