Lima’s Indie music scene grows every weekend, in hot and crowded venues where young Peruvians dance and mosh to songs they’ve turned into lifelong anthems. It grows every time an indie rock, dream pop or psychedelic band is invited to perform live on television or at big local music festivals like Selvámonos; or when they travel outside of Peru to play at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas. The production quality continues to get better as Peruvian indie rock bands start branching out of their scene into new audiences. These 12 songs showcase the best independent music you’ll find in Lima every weekend.
Amigo, Juan Gris
“There is nothing more difficult, tonight is our night. Crash slowly, enjoying the glow that illuminates our faces. Such beautiful losers, we had no future but we did not care.” The chorus to Amigo, a four-minute gem by Peruvian indie rock three-piece Juan Gris, is a turning point at every show: people crowdsurf, some hug strangers as if they were actual amigos, while they jump around like they really had no future after the next chorus. Crunchy guitars and often quirky yet poetic lyrics that reference childhood dreams of starting a rock band: Juan Gris is one of the most promising bands to come out of the independent scene. They have recently opened for Argentinian indie rock kings Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado. The band will release their first album this year. If you’re ever in Lima and want to catch them live, know they might play a Spanish version of Lithium by Nirvana.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sueño Escarchado de Una Noche de Verano, Dan Dan Dero
This dream-pop/shoegaze band has two female vocalists that take us through their atmosphere of guitars and beats that make life seem like a constant carousel. Their lyrics talk about love in school times. In 2015, Dan Dan Dero won the Converse Rubber Tracks contest and recorded a split with Venezuelan producer Héctor Castillo, known for having worked with Björk and David Bowie.
Mundaka plays a fusion of dream pop and surf rock. Mundaka was selected to play at South by Southwest festival on March 15 as part of the first Peruvian showcase in Austin, Texas.
Caen los Edificios, Serto Mercurio
Often compared to My Bloody Valentine, Serto Mercurio is a three-piece band full of enthusiasm and positive tunes in a shoegaze/noise pop vein.
She’s, Lluvia Trip
Lluvia Trip’s members were probably born after the 80s ended but their music brings back the feel of that era’s nostalgic pop. Some of their songs are sung in English.
Under the leadership of an anonymous musical genius, Laikamori performs its experimental dream pop completely covered in black clothes and paint, wearing a mask encrusted with diamond-like stones, to concentrate on the aesthetics of their music. Norfolk is a dream pop song with experimental psychedelic guitar solos, almost landscape like music. Laikmori has an Icelandic taste in their songs, and the band has been compared with Danish band Sleepy Party People.
Camas Separadas, Luis Loz
Luis Loz is a solo project that mixes minimalist piano riffs with ironic heartbreak lyrics. Camas Separadas is Luis Loz’ first hit.
La Hermana de Coco, Luis Guzmán
Luis Guzman’s indie rock became popular for their shows at the Socialist Party house. Most of the bands mentioned in this list spent their college years attending their shows and were inspired to start their own bands after them. They have a strong Franz Ferdinand influence with some blues and rockabilly elements. Luis Guzmán is currently on a hiatus.
Niña, Los Outsaiders
When The Strokes’ producer Gordon Raphael visited South America, Los Outsaiders took advantage of the opportunity and convinced him via Facebook to produce their first album. It only took one week to record. This could be the reason why both bands sound a lot alike, with their indie-flavored garage-rock.
Algo Especial, Wanderlust
Wanderlust sometimes reminds us of Japanese math rock band Toe and earlier Foals, with dancey drum beats and lots of delay. Algo Especial is a clean tune that works for them as a great opener at shows, especially if they’re performing on a rooftop.
Archie, Los Zapping
Los Zapping just released their newest album La Costa del Pacífico on indie rock label Faro Records. Expect pop punk melodies meets The Ramones and soccer.
Payasos, Alias la Gringa
Although Alias la Gringa is an all-girl band from Arequipa, we’ve included them in this list because their music often travels to Lima. Their feminist stoner rock is heavy and fast, angry and happy. Alias la Gringa carries a sound and message much needed in this indie music scene – like the riot grrrl punk of the 90s.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.