Ecuador has numerous bands within a wide range of genres. There are bands that already have a fan base outside of Ecuador and others that are just starting up. When you listen to their songs you will realise that their inspiration comes from different things like nature, politics, life, love, or personal situations. Whatever they sing about and whatever style they play, here are 12 that should be on your radar.
Swing Original Monks
Swing Original Monks is a catchy, colourful band that has been a hit all over Ecuador, and even a few countries in South America since 2010. It is a fusion band that mixes Ecuadorian folklore, rock merengue, jazz, and electronic beats including different instruments. The band members come from Latin America, United States and Europe, but are currently based in Quito. Swing Original Monks encourage their concert attendees to dance along. Some of their most popular hits are “Caminito”, “Grita Pregonero”, “Fiesta Popular” and “Amor Inalámbrico”.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swing Original Monks “Caminito” | Swing Original Monks Music / YouTube
Da Pawn is an alternative and experimental indie-rock band from Quito. They started in 2010 with their debut album El Peón that led them to have concerts at arenas and festivals like Fiesta de la Música in Quito, Cornetto Fest and Quitofest. The latest album, Verano en Coma, was released in September 2016. Da Pawn has a fan base all over Ecuador and in Colombia where they are currently doing a tour.
Da Pawn “Ballenas de Ruido en vivo (El Peón en el Obraje)” | Da Pawn / YouTube
Paola Navarrete is called the Queen of Ecuadorian alternative pop having suddenly appeared in a relatively male-dominated music scene of Ecuador. The Quito-based artist started singing at a young age and also played in the band The Buffands and later decided to study music. Navarrete has toured with bands like Da Pawn, Tripulacion de Osos, and Jazz the Roots. Navarrete is said to have a sweet and soft voice where she can hypnotise the listeners.
Paola Navarrete “El Mar” | Paola Navarrete / YouTube
Mateo Kingman is a spiritual and experimental singer from the Ecuadorian Amazon. Kingman brings natural landscape, water, and colourful and psychedelic movements into the music videos. His debut album, Respira (Breathe),came out in 2016. His lyrics direct us into a complex relationship between high mountains and the rainforests that also represent a message in order to raise awareness.
Mateo Kingman “Sendero Del Monte” | AYA Records / YouTube
Los Corrientes is an experimental urban-pop band from Guayaquil that uses a mixture of rhythms. The lyrics are based on everyday feelings, personal stories, and reflections on universal topics. It is an unorthodox band that strongly believes ‘art belongs to the society that inspires it’, and that their content is created freely without any barriers – which also means fans can download all of their songs for free.
Los Corrientes “Soy Chiro” | Los Corrientes / YouTube
Ricardo Pita is a musician from Guayaquil who studied music in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Pita’s unique style has caught the attention of media and fans not only in Ecuador but also in other countries in Latin America. He has also been called the Ecuadorian Bob Dylan. Pita started off by playing with his friends and started to get requests after uploading demos on YouTube. Ricardo Pita is also the former bass player for Niñosaurios. His music is said to be undervalued in Ecuador, but he is doing quite well in Chile and Argentina.
Ricardo Pita “Viento Eterno” | Ricardo Pita / YouTube
Alex Eugenio is a musician from Guayaquil who is venturing into genres like folk and rock, having been in the Ecuadorian music scene for over a decade. One of his most popular songs is “Corazón Abondonado” (Abandoned Heart). The song is about a meeting of two lonely people, who fall in love because of fate and luck. Eugenio has been inspired by the traditional Latin American genre called Bolero, a slow-tempo genre where you dance closely.
Alex Eugenio “Corazón Abandonado” | Sofar Guayaquil | Sofar Sounds /YouTube
Niñosaurios is an indie-rock band from Guayaquil that mixes rock with different genres. The band was formed in 2005 and started off with a faithful fanbase after playing at local bars. The band was originally named Los Hijos de Victor (Children of Victor) but later changed their name to Niñosaurios which is a reflection of their joyful, fun, and energetic music.
Niñosaurios “Tonto” | Ecuacanal Ecuador / YouTube
Daniel Vinueza Benedetti uses the artist name VINU. He is a musician from Guayaquil who was previously the frontman of the band Cadaver Exquisito. His debut album, Serpientes y Escaleras,contains eight tracks and eight remixes by an electronic producer named Serlinn, creating a double disc. VINU goes under the genres lo-fi pop, indie-pop, and electronica.
VINU “Regresar (Serlinn Majora’s Mix)” | VINU / YouTube
Tripulación de Osos
Tripulación de Osos is an independent and alternative rock band based in Quito. They started in 2013 and proposed a new energy to the rock scene in Quito. They are known for being energetic on stage, which always engages the people who attend their concerts. Their music and lyrics reflect topics from daily life all the way to the surreal. They vary between light and dark, without complications and always with an unpredictable, satirical touch.
Nuevo Bravo is a new alternative rock/grunge band from Quito. Members of Nuevo Bravo previously played for friends and collaborated with other musicians before starting off as Nuevo Bravo. Its had live concerts at different locations in Quito, like Cafe Democratico and El Pobre Diablo. Its first music video, Miel, released end of May 2017.
Nuevo Bravo “MIEL” | Nuevo Bravo / YouTube
Toño Cepeda is an upcoming and new musician who has already got a fanbase around Ecuador. Cepeda’s latest album La vida en el espacio (Life in space) came out in July 2017. He has said that his newest album is a good representation of him as a person and that it is a journey that goes through acoustic parts and sometimes rock’n’roll or punk. Cepeda has been in bands like Biorn Borg, Rarefacción, and Can Can.
Toño Cepeda “Bang” | Sofar Guayaquil | Sofar Latin America / YouTube
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.