Medellin has been famous for many things over the years – many of them, sadly, negative – but was never especially well known for its art scene – until now, that is. The City of Eternal Spring has a burgeoning art scene nowadays, and has even been called the next major art destination. So here are the very best of Medellin’s art galleries to visit on your next trip.
Museo de Arte Moderno de Medellin (MAMM)
The fantastic Medellin Modern Art Museum is one of the cornerstones of the Medellin art scene. It’s located in a former smelting plant in Ciudad del Rio neighbourhood, alongside the popular El Poblado. MAMM stands out from many other galleries for its willingness to embrace diverse art forms and to showcase contemporary artists from the Medellin scene. Having hosted several sound-based exhibitions, as well as regular installations and even DJ nights, MAMM is easily the best contemporary gallery in the city. The museum also houses work by top Colombian artists Débora Arango and Antonio Caro.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Museo de Antioquia & Plaza Botero
The Antioquia Museum is not just a gallery space – it also houses many beautiful exhibits of contemporary Antioquian historical items – but its large Fernando Botero exhibits places it firmly on this list. Botero, Medellin’s most famous artist, has hundreds of pieces on display in this museum, and aficionados of his work can also walk outside the museum to the adjacent Botero Square to enjoy more than 10 of his large sculptures.
The Blue House
The Blue House is indicative of new, modern ways of consuming art and culture, particularly among Medellin’s youth: a hybrid space that combines a design store, gallery space, coffee shop, and showroom, The Blue House integrates art into its unique furniture, installations, and products, all of which are created by local artists. It also offers gallery space to up-and-coming Medellin creatives, giving the entire place a truly creative vibe that is a joy to experience.
Not so much an art gallery as a living, breathing urban gallery, Comuna 13 is becoming globally renowned for its wonderful street-art scene. Wandering the once no-go streets of this poor community, visitors are instantly struck by the sheer diversity and talent on display on the walls of the neighborhood. With plenty of murals given over to images of protest, Colombia’s native flora and fauna, and indigenous people, Comuna 13 is like an outdoor gallery/educational space. There are even graffiti tours of the Comuna, giving you the chance to experience this “gallery” with real experts.
The Charlee Hotel
How can a hotel also be an art gallery? If you’ve ever pondered this eternal question, then you clearly haven’t stayed at the Charlee Hotel in Medellin! Once described by Fodors as, “like living in a work of art,” this stunning and innovative hotel is the ideal place to stay if you are an art lover in Medellin. Its facade and much of its interior were designed by local artists and muralists, and the lobby and salon function as a rotating gallery and exhibition space to local artists.
Galería Duque Arango
Since 1986, the Duque Arango Gallery has been exhibiting the best of both Colombian and international modern and contemporary art, having featured exhibits by such Colombian luminaries as Ricardo Gómez Campuzano, Francisco Antonio Cano, Jesús Maria Zamora, Gonzalo Ariza, and Andres de Santamaría. With regular new exhibits coming to the gallery, there’s always something to look forward to.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.