The southern Andean city of Pasto is somewhat off-the-radar for most travelers in Colombia, who often see the city as nothing more than a stop-off before crossing the nearby Ecuador border. However, Pasto has a rich history and culture and is surrounded by stunning Andean nature, and there’s easily enough to see and do to warrant staying for a few days.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a trip to La Cocha Lake
The huge lake of La Cocha is located less than an hour from Pasto and is the perfect place for a day-trip to get away from the city. You can take a boat tour out to several beauty spots around the lake – including La Corota Island, Colombia’s smallest protected area – and then sample some delicious fresh trout dishes in a lakeside restaurant.
Climb Cumbal Volcano
The largest volcano in southern Colombia is located just outside of Pasto, and climbing it is one of the most exciting and extreme activities you can enjoy on a trip to the city. On a clear day, you can even see the distant Pacific Ocean from the summit! It’s not an easy climb to attempt solo, so make sure to try it with a guide.
Visit Colombia’s most beautiful church
Las Lajas Sanctuary is often called Colombia’s most beautiful church, and has even popped up on lists of the world’s most beautiful churches! It’s located just outside of the small border town of Ipiales and can be visited easily enough on a full day trip from Pasto. And it really is highly recommended that you visit: even if you think you’ve seen a thousand churches, you’ve never seen one like Las Lajas.
Try a plate of cuy
Cuy – or Guinea Pig – is a typical dish of the southern Colombian Andes and not one you will find in any other major Colombian city. So if you fancy sampling the unusual local delicacy, you’ll have to make sure to seek it out in a Pasto restaurant.
The Blacks and Whites Carnival
Pasto’s annual Carnaval de Blancos y Negros – or Blacks and Whites Carnival – is one of Colombia’s most famous and celebrated traditional festivals. Taking place in early January, the festival is a riot of colour and raucous parades, as locals wear both black and white makeup on consecutive days, a practice designed to highlight the racial diversity of the region.
Visit the Carnival Museum
If you are unable to travel to Pasto in January but still want to learn more about Pasto’s most important cultural celebration then you can pay a visit to the Carnival Museum. Centrally located, with exhibits of traditional carnival costumes, the museum will tell you everything you need to know about the history and traditions of carnival in Pasto.
Visit the green lake of Azufral Volcano
The stunning green lake of Azufral Volcano is one of the most surreal and beautiful natural wonders of Colombia and is an extremely popular day-trip from Pasto. The hike through the mountains to reach the lake – formed by sulphurous emissions from Azufral Volcano – is a tough one, but it’s easily worth the effort for the sight of the stunning lake deep in the southern Andes.
Explore the historic centre of Pasto
Pasto’s historic centre is home to some spectacular old colonial architecture, and a number of beautiful churches, old houses, and museums. Among the highlights are Narino Square, the Pasto Cathedral, the Narino government building, San Felipe Church, and many more important churches and museums.
Hike in the Galeras Flora and Fauna Sanctuary
This protected high-altitude Andean sanctuary is one of the most important protected ecosystems in southern Colombia and is the ideal day-trip from Pasto for anyone with a love of nature and the great outdoors. Dominated by the imposing Galeras Volcano, the reserve protects important paramo ecosystems as well as almost 200 species of birds.
Visit the Taminango Museum
The Taminango Museum (or Taminango Museum of Arts and Popular Traditions of Narino, to give its full name) is housed in a beautiful building which was declared a National Monument in 1971. Focusing on the traditional artisan products from the department of Narino, the museum is not very well-known but a fascinating insight into the region’s cultural heritage.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.