La Candelaria is one of Bogotá’s most historic and beautiful neighborhoods. The streets are lined with Spanish colonial, Baroque or art deco architecture, making this area very popular for tourists. Housing many of the city’s museums, universities, churches and libraries, it’s an area you can’t miss when visiting Bogotá. Grab a bite to eat at any of these restaurants to keep you going while exploring this vibrant neighborhood.
Capital Cocina y Café
Capital Cocina y Café is an excellent choice for fresh Colombian classics and contemporary fusion dishes. Adored by tourists and locals, the dishes are rustic, light and reasonably priced. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they also cater to vegetarians. The service is as excellent as the food and the staff will make you feel totally at home in the cozy atmosphere. The restaurant is just two blocks from one of Bogota’s most beautiful cathedrals, Iglesia del Carmen. Be sure to check it out before or after your meal.
Capital Cocina y Café, Calle 10,#2 – 99, Bogotá, Colombia, +57 1 3420426
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re looking for a taste of traditional Sardinian food while in Bogotá, Trattoria Nuraghe is the perfect place. Don’t let the seemingly tiny exterior of the restaurant fool you as the interior is modern and inviting, with beautiful wooden-beamed ceilings, exposed brick and warm colors. It’s a beautiful setting to enjoy lunch or dinner. The pasta is homemade and the extensive wine list ensures you’ll find the perfect pairing for whatever you order. Leave room for dessert, their tiramisu and chocolate cake are exceptional.
Trattoria Nuraghe, Calle 10, #2 – 99, Bogotá,Colombia, + 57 1 3420426
Fulanitos offers a taste of food from the Valle del Cauca region of Colombia that borders the Pacific Ocean. The beautiful restaurant is set inside an old colonial home with the charm and character that is typical of La Candelaria: complete with a Spanish style courtyard, balcony and stunning views of the rest of the city. You’ll feel as though you’ve been transported to the setting of a Gabriel García Márquez novel. They serve the best of Colombian comfort food, making it a perfect spot to escape the rain that often frequents Bogotá.
Fulanitos, Carrera 3, #8-61, Bogotá,Colombia, + 57 1 3520173
Abadia Colonial Restaurante
Abadia Colonial is a beautiful hotel and restaurant located in the heart of La Candelaria. The beautiful two-story Spanish colonial home is the perfect place to enjoy a light lunch on their patio or a romantic dinner in their dining room. Serving an array of Italian specialties, from homemade pasta, to fresh pizzas, the restaurant has something for everyone. It’s only two blocks away from the Botero Museum, which celebrates one of Colombia’s most famous artists, Fernando Botero.
Abadia Colonial Hotel y Restaurante, Calle11,#2-32, Bogotá, Colombia, + 57 1 3411884
La Paella de la Candelaria
La Paella de La Candelaria is one of the only restaurants serving traditional Spanish cuisine, in a simple and beautiful setting. Known primarily for their paella, you can also find delicious tapas, a wonderful selection of Spanish wines and freshly made sangria. On the walls of the dining rooms, you’ll see old painted posters advertising bull fights and famous matadors. You might to remind yourself that you’re still in Colombia.
La Paella de La Candelaria, Calle 11,#5-13, Bogotá, Colombia, +57 1 6099956
El Gato Gris
El Gato Gris is a small, cozy restaurant serving a fusion of Italian and Colombian inspired dishes. The beautiful atmosphere has rustic historic charm and character, with wonderful service and staff. A live Latin band plays music every night for their dinner service, adding to the lovely romanticism in the air. The restaurant also hosts themed dinners that can be arranged through special reservation on their website or by calling the restaurant. It’s the perfect location to celebrate special occasions.
El Gato Gris, Carrera 1A # 12B-12, Bogotá, Colombia, + 57 1 3421716
If you’re looking for authentic Colombian food, Casa Vieja is one of the best to get it in La Candelaria. Their extensive menu has dishes from across the country, from the Andes to the Caribbean. Typical Colombian dishes are quite heavy, so bring your appetites. The elegant interior is decorated and furnished in the typical colonial style, with dark wooden beamed ceilings, religious artifacts and elaborate paintings depicting Spanish and Colombian landscapes. Finish your meal with rich Colombian coffee and brevas y arequipe (dulce de leche stuffed figs).
Casa Vieja, Av. Jimenez #3-63, Bogotá, Colombia, +57 1 3426752
La Bruja is a quaint, little restaurant located next to one of Bogotá’s many universities. The restaurant serves a variety of dishes, with flavors influenced by Latin American and European cuisines. Though open for both lunch and dinner, the restaurant’s candlelit atmosphere is best enjoyed in the evening over a glass of one of their delicious wines. Everything from the art to the furniture to the ambiance aims to transport diners to another time, while listening to the house band play classical Spanish music.
La Bruja, Calle 12, #3-45, Bogotá, Colombia, +57 1 3369261
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.