Foreign-language schools are a traveler’s dream. No matter your level or how much time you have, these programs offer lessons, activities and an immersive experience into a city.
Like most travelers, the first thing I did when I arrived in Medellín was look for some Colombian food. After picking a restaurant and sliding into a corner table overlooking the mountains, I asked for an Águila, the local beer, then looked at the blackboard and realized immediately that I had no clue how to order.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The waiter came over and spoke in lightning-speed Spanish. I kept saying “Por favor repitelo?” (“Please repeat that?”), but it was hopeless. I just pointed to a few items and hoped for the best. It was clear I needed help with my Spanish.
Language schools are a great way to learn the local language or brush up on your skills, gain a support system, meet other travelers and explore a new city all at the same time. After my arrival in Medellín, I did a quick Google search and found that a school called Elefun offered classes and activities and was within walking distance of my rented apartment. I signed up right away.
Elefun offers Spanish classes at beginner to advanced levels, for locals or travelers, in either group or private sessions. Most people choose group lessons based on their level, which is determined by a quick assessment, but students can also opt to have private lessons for more concentrated attention. The school has programs ranging from a few hours to a few weeks or months, so you can fit it into your travel schedule; the choice is yours, but a month is recommended for proper language acquisition. You can do morning or afternoon sessions for two to four hours daily.
Schools like this can be found on the internet and you can register easily, either online or in person. Activities are offered at various times to work with your schedule. Members of staff will even meet you at the airport and bring you to your host family or hotel.
A friendly atmosphere at Elefun
Elefun has a pristine white courtyard and a buzzer to let people in and out of the facilities. Each classroom, named for the cities in Colombia, has flat-screen TVs, Wi-Fi and air-conditioning. A sweet little lady offers café con leche and water to the people who are sitting waiting on the balcony, overlooking the mountain views.
The friendly receptionist knows the names of each student and their schedules, and posts a list of activities on the board weekly. They included sports activities, salsa lessons and food tastings of local snacks. The school puts laminated labels next to the foods to describe the exotic fruits, tasty sandwiches or fresh juices, which you can help yourself to in between lessons.
At night there are evening language exchanges to get in some practice with locals, and cultural excursions to local restaurants and bars to enjoy drinks and empanadas and learn more about the Colombian culture.
Exploring the city while learning Spanish
This program is an excellent way to explore Medellín. While the activity coordinators at the school offer a variety of excursions, the language program also allows people to experience the city independently. Medellín also has a spotless and efficient metro system, so you can easily venture off on your own between classes.
You can do free walking tour of the city, gazing at statues by Fernando Botero, tasting local delicacies along the way and hearing stories of the sites from a local’s perspective. You can join a free graffiti tour of the revived neighborhood of Comuna 13, riding colorful outdoor escalators, examining powerful murals created by local artists and ending the day with a Colombian michelada, a beer served with lime and salt, while taking in the artwork. You can ride the newly designed cable cars that transport visitors from the city’s metro station to high up in the hills, taking in some exquisite views, then hop on another cable car that goes directly to Parque Arví, which has a local market, a national park and the most idyllic vegetarian restaurant, Cable a Tierra, where you can have a full meal, with soup, entrée and a drink, all for a couple bucks.
Language school gets an A+
When I told my teacher about my first day in the city and my troubles ordering in a restaurant, we spent the morning reviewing essential vocabulary and role playing. She then took me around the corner to a delicious café where her friend worked, ushering me to the counter and stepping back to leave me on my own. I looked at the menu and paused – and then, in near-perfect Spanish, I ordered a feast. The school even paid for it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.