Medellín is one of the most popular travel destinations in Colombia, but many visitors don’t want to linger too long in a city when there is such amazing nature and culture to enjoy in the rest of Colombia. The good news is you can easily enjoy the best of Medellín in a short period of time, so here’s a guide on how to spend 48 hours in the city (based on an itinerary of two nights and one full day).
Keen to visit? You can do so in the company of a local insider and a small group of like-minded travellers by joining Culture Trip’s specially curated eight-day Colombian Andes adventure, which features a guided walking tour of Medellín.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Arriving in Medellín in the late afternoon, the first thing you’ll want to do is check into your hostel or hotel. With just a couple of nights to spend in the city, it’s worth staying in the Poblado neighborhood: it’s certainly more touristy, but many of the best restaurants and bars are also here, so it’s a good place to be based. The Charlee Hotel is highly recommended if you’re after somewhere nicer to stay. Once you’ve checked in, you can head to the rooftop bar, Envy Rooftop, for a drink (even if you’re not staying here, it’s worth it for the view).
Once you’ve had that sunset drink, you’ll want dinner: head to OCI.mde in Poblado. This hip, modern restaurant serves upscale Colombian classics and is easily one of the best restaurants in the city. You’ll need to make reservations in advance, but it’s totally worth it for the quality cuisine. Then, you’ll most likely want to call it a night: tomorrow will be a long day!
This is your one full day to enjoy Medellín, so you’ve got to take advantage of it! Get up nice and early, and go for coffee and a pastry at Pergamino Cafe in Poblado – it serves some of the best local coffee in the city, which is the perfect pick-me-up for a long day ahead. From Pergamino, head to the meeting point for the Free Walking Tour of Medellín, probably the best tour available in the city. It takes all morning, but you will be able to visit all the key tourist sights in the center of Medellín, including Parque de Las Luces, Plaza Botero and Plaza San Antonio, learning about the city’s history at the same time.
Once you’ve finished with the tour, stick around Centro, and grab a bandeja paisa (a typical Colombian platter) for lunch at Hacienda Junin – this hearty dish is easily the most representative dish of the region, so you don’t want to miss out! From here, jump on the Metro, and head north towards the Medellín Botanical Gardens and Parque Explora. You can spend a great afternoon wandering the gardens, enjoying wonderful sightings of iguanas and even monkeys, before enjoying the fun interactive science and technology museum of Parque Explora – with a 3D cinema, aquarium and interactive exhibits, it’s a fun experience, for sure.
If you still have time, head up nearby Nutibara Hill to visit the mock Antioquia village known as Pueblito Paisa, and enjoy the dusk views over Medellín – the sight of the lights coming on in the city as night approaches is one of the best vistas in Medellín. Then, head back towards Poblado for dinner – try and visit Carmen restaurant tonight (make sure to book if it’s a weekend). As one of the best restaurants in the city, it’s another practically unmissable Medellín dining experience.
If it’s a weekend and you still have the energy for a night out, then be sure to visit the nightclub Calle 9+1: this hipster-friendly establishment plays a great mix of techno, funk and electronic music, attracting a lively young crowd.
Get up nice and early, and head out of Medellín towards San Felix to go paragliding! The views over the city are spectacular – easily the best view of Medellín – and there’s nothing quite like soaring through the air with nothing but the wind keeping you airborne.
Once you’re back in the city, grab some lunch, then jump on the Medellín Metrocable, and ride up to Parque Arvi, a pretty natural park in the mountains to the east of the city. Spend the afternoon hiking the forest trails and enjoying local snacks from the market stalls. Then, head back down on the cable cars and take the Metro towards Poblado to pack your bags and call your taxi to the airport. You’ll surely be sad to be leaving such a beautiful and fun city but satisfied that you packed as much as possible into your 48 hours in Medellín.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.