Located just 3 hours east of Medellin, Reserva Natural Cañon de Río Claro is a stunning area of protected tropical rainforest. Crystal clear turquoise water rushes through towering marble canyons, into stalagmite caves and past lush, emerald green jungle. But why visit Rio Claro? Well, because sloth spotting, canyon-jumping, cave-exploring, jungle-ziplining and rock-climbing await you.
It’s home to the fluorescent scorpion…
Rio Claro is teeming with dark, riverside caves, making this the perfect hiding spot for bats, spiders and scorpions. However, there’s a little something that gives the scorpions away; these bioluminescent animals produce a bright blue-green glow that can be seen under an ultraviolet light. Ask your guide to help you spot one when you visit Caverna de los Guácharos.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
And other awesome rare animals
With miles of lush, green vegetation, freshwater springs and a warm, tropical climate, Rio Claro is home to thousands of animals, many of which are unfortunately endangered. During your time here you’ll have the chance to spot White-Footed Tamarin monkeys,Red Howler monkeys, toucans, parrots, sloths, otters and agoutis, as well as hundreds of bird species and beautiful giant blue morpho butterflies.
You’ll be whitewater rafting through epic marble canyons
Whilst most of the river is actually very calm, there are some sections which are fast-flowing, allowing adventure-seekers to explore Rio Claro by raft. You’ll be rafting through stunning jungle backed canyons and passing by staggering cave systems. Hard-core rafters should note: reaching only grade II, this is a relatively calm rafting experience. However, this means you’ll have a better chance to take in the spectacular views along the way.
The jungle canopy is strung with a huge network of ziplines
Not only can you explore Rio Claro by water, but you can also see it from above! Find your inner Tarzan and swing high over the lush canopy, crisscrossing the river and spotting howler monkeys as you fly through the jungle. You can do this as a day trip through the Rio Claro Reserva Natural website, or, if you’re staying the night, ask your accommodation to help you make a reservation.
It’s a chance to stay in a real ecolodge
Many hotels call themselves “eco” lodges, but how many actually protect the environment in which they’re in, or let you get really close to nature? At the windowless, rustic-chich Rio Claro Ecolodge, you’ll be sleeping with panoramic views of the jungle and waking up to the sounds of howling monkeys and singing birds. Not only this, Rio Claro are genuine about protecting the area, donating 20-30% of all income to the future preservation of the reserve.
It’s a cave explorer’s dream
Rio Claro is full of land and underwater cave systems just waiting to be explored. The most famous is 600m (1,968 ft)-long Cueva de los Guacharos, located right alongside the river. Visitors have to trek through dense forest, wade through waist-deep water and even jump off 4m (13.12 ft) cliffs to get there. However, filled with stunning marble formations, and thousand-year-old stalagmites and stalactites, the journey is well worth it.
And a climber’s paradise
The Rio Claro reserve recently added the “Via Ferrata”, a protected climbing route ascending 150m (492ft) along the canyon’s limestone cliffs. Fully equipped with harness, carabiner, gloves and helmet, climbers scale the expertly mapped out steel cable route, which rewards those who dare with epic views and boundless wildlife-spotting opportunities.
It’s home to the coolest rock formations you’ll ever see
Thanks to the rich minerals in the water and soil, Rio Claro is full of stunning rock formations. Hundreds of caves in the reserve are filled with a variety of stalactites and stalagmites, formed by tiny, mineral-rich water droplets over millennia. Make sure you check out what the reserve call the “Temple of Time”, an impressive fossil cave which, when the light is just right, looks like you’ve landed on another planet.
In the week, you’ll have the place to yourself
During weekends and public holidays, this place sees a big influx of Colombian families, however, Rio Claro is still relatively undiscovered by tourists. This means that if you visit in the middle of the week, chances are you’ll have this slice of paradise to yourself.
You’ll be cliff-jumping into crystal-clear waters
Much of the shallow water runs over smooth marble stone, however, there are several deep, crystal-clear pools perfect for swimming in or, if you’re really brave, jumping into from one of the towering cliffs.
Stunning hiking routes
There are several well-marked treks dotted around the reserve, each passing through caves, waterfalls and pristine water holes. Each eco-trail varies in distance and difficulty, ranging from 2-6 hour hikes. Make sure you check out Marble Beach: a spot where the river widens, creating a stunning marble rock “beach” with a deep natural pool perfect for swimming.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.