Santiago, the capital of Chile, is home to a dazzling array of eclectic neighborhoods, so book a room in a boutique hotel to get a feel for the area. Head to Bellavista for nightlife, Providencia for dining and Bellas Artes for the museums; other worthy stays can be found in Lastarria and Barrio Brasil. Here’s our guide to the best boutique hotels in Santiago, all bookable on Culture Trip.
A contemporary hotel in the Jardín del Este neighborhood, Bidasoa has Art Deco rooms with rich textile touches and large windows. Upgrade to the Presidential Suite for a fully equipped kitchen you’ll truly want to cook in. The pool and sundeck are true summer treats. It all sits a short walk from the Parque Arauco shopping mall and two golf courses.
Unlike the stark-white hyper-modern façade, the contemporary interior spaces here stick to warm earth tones. Rooms house oversized reproductions of artworks found in the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, a 10-minute walk away. The restaurant is a good choice for light meals and drinks, while the rooftop is kitted with a sundeck, plunge pool and a bar with indoor and outdoor seating.
Located in the Pedro de Valdivia Norte neighborhood on the eastern side of San Cristóbal Hill, the Ladera Hotel is sleek and contemporary. Nearly all rooms have panoramic views of the city or of San Cristóbal and the mountains. The long, shallow rooftop pool and sundeck are perfect for summer lazing. Rejuvenate at the spa with a beauty treatment; spa basics include the horizontal shower, sauna and jacuzzi, available around the clock. A slew of restaurants are a short walk across the Mapocho River.
Located in a quiet part of Providencia, the cosy Carménère is a short walk from the Italia, Lastarria and Bellavista neighborhoods. Aside from the 800-count bedding and pillow menu, you’ll also have use of an iPad mini. Breakfast is prepared using locally sourced organic ingredients, plus there’s a complimentary 24-hour coffee/tea bar with fresh fruit and pastries, not to mention a wine cellar stocked with organic wines. The tranquil garden is perfect for having an al fresco breakfast or enjoying a glass of carménère.
Each of the rooms at Matildas in Barrio Brasil has a distinct but charming color scheme along with polished wood floors and period paned windows. The tidy garden is a quiet place for breakfast or coffee. A 10-minute walk west leads to a cluster of museums such as the Artequin Art, Memorial and Human Rights, Contemporary Art and Natural History. The honesty bar back at the hotel is welcome after a day’s adventures.
A former Spanish colonial mansion, the Aubrey has more than a hint of Tudor, a look that extends to the airy, comfortable rooms. Extensive outdoor spaces almost qualify it as a resort; enjoy the pool and sundeck, or have a drink on the terrace. Looking for a special evening? Book a table at nearby Restaurante 040, one of the best restaurants in Latin America.
Mary Katherine Gwynn contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.