Lake-side chalet. Cozy cabins. Family-run retreat. There’s an independent hotel in Puerto Varas to suit every traveler. To help you find your perfect stay in the Lake District of Chile, here are the top boutique hotels in Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Laid-back, German-influenced Puerto Varas is a haven for nature aficionados and outdoor adventurers. The town lies on the shores of the immense Llanquihue Lake and looks out at the Osorno and Calbuco volcanoes. Kayaking, fishing and hiking are all on the cards here. From lodges and cabins to chalet-style stays, there are plenty of boutique hotels to choose from too, and we’ve rounded up the very best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The impressive chalet-style Hotel Cumbres has 90 rooms, all decorated with woods and textiles typical of the region. The airy dining room has windows on all sides so you can soak up the serene skies and volcanic vistas over the lake. The Alumko Wellness Spa will pamper you with a massage, sauna session or dip in the heated pool, which (yes, you guessed it) also has a sensational view over the lake.
The attention to detail at the family-run Hotel AWA is second to none, from the contemporary architectural design of the glossy glass front to tailor-made itineraries for every guest. Floor-to-ceiling windows in every room make Llanquihue Lake and Osorno Volcano the stars of your stay. For outdoor action, head on a rafting expedition or fling yourself into fly fishing and take in the soothing scenery.
The rooms and cabins at Hotel Cabaña del Lago were designed with the surrounding landscape in mind, and feature soft woollen throws and recycled woods. Sitting by the fireside and sipping a glass of cabernet sauvignon is the best way to enjoy the deck that overlooks the lake. The heated indoor pool was built with rocks from neighboring Calbuco Volcano, and it’s an ideal spot for a soak after tackling an ambitious skiing or hiking expedition at Osorno Volcano.
The chalet-like structure of Hotel Solace is an ode to the German-influenced history of Puerto Varas. It sits next to verdant woodland and the terracotta-steepled Sagrado Corazón de Jesús church. The 85 radiant rooms have a largely neutral palette with thoughtful touches of woven tapestries and orange throw cushions. There’s no better way to end the day than lounging in the grand living room, wrapped up by the log fire with your favorite tipple in hand.
If Hotel Bellavista were any closer to Llanquihue Lake, it’d be submerged in water. The wood-paneled rooms will have you cozily cooped up cabin-style, but large windows means there’s plenty of light. The spa pool has water as blue and inviting as the lake outside, but it’s heated, so no plunging into icy water is necessary – save that level of adventure for kayaking or horse riding expeditions in the picturesque surroundings.
With only 21 rooms, Hotel Puelche provides intimate, welcoming service. The increasingly renowned Puelche Burger Bar does some of the best gourmet hamburgers and home-made fries in town, ideally enjoyed on the outdoor deck. True to style, there’s an on-site boutique stocked with unique, design-forward souvenirs including caps, sunglasses and glossy coffee-table books.
The deluxe family-run Hotel Agua Nativa sits in natural surroundings on the edge of town, making for a peaceful stay. Start your day by digging into a buffet-style breakfast of fresh fruits, cured meats and home-made cakes. To wind down at sunset, soak until pruney in one of the heated open-air wooden tubs while looking over the lake and sipping on a frothy pisco sour.
The team at the intimate Los Cauquenes will welcome you as if you were a lifelong friend. Just a few minutes from the center of Puerto Varas, the hotel has a relaxed garden with a stone-framed swimming pool and hammocks hung among the trees, for the ultimate in lakeside lounging. The comforting, cabin-style rooms have wood-beamed ceilings and expansive windows so no inch of the outside view remains unseen.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.